MAJESTIC VANNERS AUSTRALIA INC.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building a Replica or Tribute van........

+10
willzy2905
vanner065
Jonny James
serendipity
Imperfection
HQVAN
Rusty62TransAm
agro
Bowtie383
The Zodiac
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Building a Replica or Tribute van........ Empty Building a Replica or Tribute van........

Post  The Zodiac Thu 20 Oct 2011, 10:38 am

Has anyone else every considered building a replica or tribute van?

What I mean by this is has there ever been a van you always admired when you were younger that ended up getting destroyed or lost over time and since you cant have "the real deal" you'd consider building a replica or tribute???

The reason I say Replica or Tribute is I think there is a distinct difference in the two, here's my definitions of the two.....

Replica Van
An exact or very close replica to the original, detailed as the original was, hard to pick from the original. Would cost a lot more than a tribute van.

Tribute Van
A van that looks similar to the original from the outside, not an exact match but close, lacks the finer points like undercarriage and engine bay detail etc but to the untrained eye it could pass as the real deal. Cheaper to build than a Replica and more useable.

Over the years we've lost a lot of beautiful vans, Invader 2001, Blue Image, The Wizard, Tangerine Dream, Lost World, Hallucinate etc, and I've noticed at events like Muscle Car Masters they have replicas of Brockies Toranas and other historic race cars so why not of historic vans!!! Very Happy

Awhile back I discussed with Rusty about building a Tribute van of The Wizard to use as a daily driver to take to work, the cost wouldn't be that high depending on what you've already got lying around and what you can do yourself or your mates can do.
We were going to do the Wizard because it was always a stand out van and it would gain maximum impact for minimum expense, between Rusty and me we had most of the bits covered and Rusty had stumbled across a real good windowless HZ with a GTS dash for 2k.

Trans Am front - both of us have moulds.
Huge 12 slotters - Checkmate has a set that aren't going back on it
XA scoops - we've got a set in the shed
L88 scoop - Rustys doing a mould
Torana headlights - got a heap from my Torana days
LTD tail lights - I've bought a few spare sets over the last few years
Roof spoiler - we'd have to track one down.
Chamous Paint - mates rate, my shed job.
Murals - mates rates, backyard job.
Engine - 253 out of my shed
Gearbox - got one of them too!

With what we had lying around and with purchasing the van I think between us with could've built a pretty good tribute van of the Wizard for about 4-5k, from the outside it'd look like the Wizard just lack the detailing, interior and driveline. Put a good reliable 253, 4 speed in and a basic back yard interior and your ready to cruise to work and MV get togethers in style!!!!

A Buccaneer one was our other option and I obtained all the parts needed to make the front but we had more Wizard parts than Buccaneer and the original goal was to keep costs down so I could sink more dollars into Checkmate rebuild, than I found the WB and had to buy it back.................. Rolling Eyes

Simo's Disturbia is a tribute van also I think but it's more a tribute to the van craze as a whole rather than one particular van.

Anyone else thought of building one???????
Cheers Rob

2% Vanner
Rest in Peace Brother!
The Zodiac
The Zodiac
Fallen Vanning Legend, Cruising in Heaven. RIP.

Back to top Go down

Building a Replica or Tribute van........ Empty Re: Building a Replica or Tribute van........

Post  Bowtie383 Thu 20 Oct 2011, 12:25 pm

I have never thought of it to be honest Rob,but if I was to build one it would be Van Rat and with the BB chev

Regards Tony.
chev
Bowtie383
Bowtie383
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2023!

Back to top Go down

Building a Replica or Tribute van........ Empty Re: Building a Replica or Tribute van........

Post  agro Thu 20 Oct 2011, 6:50 pm

I was going to do a tribute van back in 2007 of a favourite van of mine.
But it was frowned upon and told i would look like a fool if the original happened to show up at the same place i was, as well as numerous other comments that i don't want to mention.
After many discussions about this idea, with a number of people, the idea was put to rest as a very bad idea.
Hence i didn't go through with it. Needless to say i was very disappointed that i couldn't have my favourite van sitting in my shed. Replica/Tribute or other.
agro
agro
Majestic Vanner. Proud, Passionate and Paid Up!

Back to top Go down

Post  Rusty62TransAm Thu 20 Oct 2011, 7:04 pm

Gidday Craig.

I'm intrigued and disappointed at the same time.

I'm hopefully a bit Wiser, not just Older than I was 30 years ago. lol!

My attitude is I don't care what other people think, apart from those closest to me.

If your not Claiming that your Creation is the Original and you state the reason, I just can't understand why there should be a problem.

Each to their own, do what makes you happy.

Hopefully your Dream will come true one day.

Rusty!
Twisted Evil chev    

Holdens, TransAm Fronts, Custom Mods, Tunnel Rams & 350 Chevs!

At EASTER 2012 and then on the Sept/October Long Weekend since 2013 we've held our Annual Van-Ins.  All Welcome.  
Relive the 80's & Embrace the New Millennium!  
If you haven't been, You've been missing out on one of the Eastern States' Most Popular & Successful Annual Vanning Events!

Check the Events Page to find out what's happening this year!:

We have Chapters in Qld, NSW, Vic, SA and WA.  Club Rego available in QLD, NSW, Vic & SA.
Rusty62TransAm
Rusty62TransAm
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate Life Member!

Location : All the way from Hervey Bay to The Beautiful Hamilton Valley & back again!

https://majesticvanners.forumotion.com/t57-special-edition-hq-350

Back to top Go down

Post  Bowtie383 Thu 20 Oct 2011, 7:20 pm

Agro,never let anyone or negative people stop you from pursuing you dream mate you know sometimes it is better not to tell anyone what you are doing accept the wife of course and just present it when it is done.Aways remember this is for you to enjoy not the knockers mate who cares what they think,

Regards Tony.
chev
Bowtie383
Bowtie383
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2023!

Back to top Go down

Post  The Zodiac Thu 20 Oct 2011, 7:48 pm

agro wrote:I was going to do a tribute van back in 2007 of a favourite van of mine.
But it was frowned upon and told i would look like a fool if the original happened to show up at the same place i was, as well as numerous other comments that i don't want to mention.
After many discussions about this idea, with a number of people, the idea was put to rest as a very bad idea.
Hence i didn't go through with it. Needless to say i was very disappointed that i couldn't have my favourite van sitting in my shed. Replica/Tribute or other.

If you built a replica Craig and claimed it to be the real deal and the original was found you would look like a complete fool, if you never claimed it as the original I dont think there'd be an issue.
There's not a reason in the world you cant do a replica of your favourite van, crack out the welder, weld up those windows, buy a Trans Am front off Rusty and get into it! End your dissapointment and build the van you've always wanted too. Very Happy
Rhino and myself got told in 2007 that MV wouldn't last 6 months once certain members left...........4 years later we're still here, they're not. Rolling Eyes Sometimes it's better to stick with your instincts and ignore advice........
Cheers Rob

2% Vanner
Rest in Peace Brother!
The Zodiac
The Zodiac
Fallen Vanning Legend, Cruising in Heaven. RIP.

Back to top Go down

Post  agro Thu 20 Oct 2011, 8:39 pm

Rusty - I was new to the van scene when this idea crossed my mind. I listened to some people who had been in the scene a lot longer then i was, so i was easily influenced. I was never going to claim it as the original so this wasn't a problem

Bowtie383 - When i was toying with the idea, i was REAL excited that this could have happened and couldn't wait, but then the idea was smashed. I usually don't give a Woopsie what people think but when there is a majority of knockers (not THOSE knockers Embarassed ) who influence you at the time, it makes you wonder.

Rob - I couldn't weld up the windows in my HZ, as i really like the bubble windows and it has a character of it's own now. BUT if i came across the right shell and my mind frame was in the right position, i would do it.

Nothing would make me happier then to build the van and get the original's builder to sign the glovebox lid or similar if he approved it's look.
agro
agro

Back to top Go down

Post  HQVAN Thu 20 Oct 2011, 8:49 pm

Come on agro, let us know which van you wanted to tribute. You will get nothing but support from us on here!
Very Happy
(wouldn't be XX would it? Laughing , I know that's one of your favs!)
HQVAN
HQVAN
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2022!

Back to top Go down

Post  The Zodiac Thu 20 Oct 2011, 8:51 pm

agro wrote:Rob - I couldn't weld up the windows in my HZ, as i really like the bubble windows and it has a character of it's own now. BUT if i came across the right shell and my mind frame was in the right position, i would do it.

Nothing would make me happier then to build the van and get the original's builder to sign the glovebox lid or similar if he approved it's look.

Just do it man, no point dieing wondering what could've been! Very Happy You dont want to look back one day and think "sh1t I should've done this, or built that van". Life's to short, just go for it.
Although you'd have to change the front............ Laughing

Cheers Rob