MAJESTIC VANNERS AUSTRALIA INC.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitting a new motor into an old car

+4
Epic_Dragon
RAT BAG
Jonny James
Imperfection
8 posters

Go down

Fitting a new motor into an old car Empty Fitting a new motor into an old car

Post  Imperfection Wed 09 Feb 2011, 8:57 pm

My son wants to buy a written of ve commie v8, and stick everything in it motor g/box,wiring ect.And sticking it in his ht/ute is there any major problems ?
Imperfection
Imperfection
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2017!

Back to top Go down

Fitting a new motor into an old car Empty Re: Fitting a new motor into an old car

Post  Jonny James Wed 09 Feb 2011, 9:07 pm

Just one big one.... money lol
Jonny James
Jonny James
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Fitting a new motor into an old car Empty Re: Fitting a new motor into an old car

Post  RAT BAG Wed 09 Feb 2011, 9:19 pm

Not really sure about the ve engines but what's wrong with the older ls1? They're an easy engine to get power out of and castlemain make a sump and engine mounts to suit the ht. If you buy a complete car that's a good start. You'll be able to get the engine, box, loom and everything that you need from it.
These convertions are being done alot these days so to be honest theyre not that hard. I have a mate putting an ls1 into a ht prem and it hasn't cost him that much. He bought a complete written off vx ss for 2500. Stripped the engine, box and loom, sold the trim and everything else off the car for 1500. He then put that money into the conversion kit from castlemain.

When you think about it if you were to put another 8 into the car by the time you found an engine, freshened it up, bought mounts, exhaust etc etc the only real difference is wiring and fuel system.

As I said before alot of ppl do these conversions now so forums are your friend. I looked into putting a stock engine into my van but I thought by the time I get this injected engine in it might end up costing me a couple of g more but it will be more reliable, easier to drive, and you'll learn alot doing it Smile

I say tell him to do it mate. if you need any hints feel free to ask and if I can't help I'll ask my mate who is doing the same thing

Good luck
Brad
RAT BAG
RAT BAG
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2015!

Back to top Go down

Post  Epic_Dragon Thu 10 Feb 2011, 6:57 am

im doing an ls1 conversion into my HQ. just waiting on the loom being made for the conversion,and the ecu being remapped for it. but u can get kits at very good prices from www.4blok.com.au Smile oh also need a sump to suit. but it doesnt seem to be too difficult.
Epic_Dragon
Epic_Dragon
Majestic Vanner. Proud, Passionate and Paid Up!
Majestic Vanner. Proud, Passionate and Paid Up!

http://add me on facebook, leonie dean or myspace www.myspace.co

Back to top Go down

Post  Imperfection Thu 10 Feb 2011, 8:09 am

Thanks guys Cool
I told him to go out on a limb and fit a Chrysler v8 in the old girl Cool
Imperfection
Imperfection

Back to top Go down

Post  Rusty62TransAm Thu 10 Feb 2011, 9:35 am

HEMI I hope.

Regards

Rusty! Twisted Evil chev

Rusty!
Twisted Evil chev    

Holdens, TransAm Fronts, Custom Mods, Tunnel Rams & 350 Chevs!

At EASTER 2012 and then on the Sept/October Long Weekend since 2013 we've held our Annual Van-Ins.  All Welcome.  
Relive the 80's & Embrace the New Millennium!  
If you haven't been, You've been missing out on one of the Eastern States' Most Popular & Successful Annual Vanning Events!

Check the Events Page to find out what's happening this year!:

We have Chapters in Qld, NSW, Vic, SA and WA.  Club Rego available in QLD, NSW, Vic & SA.
Rusty62TransAm
Rusty62TransAm
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate Life Member!

Location : All the way from Hervey Bay to The Beautiful Hamilton Valley & back again!

https://majesticvanners.forumotion.com/t57-special-edition-hq-350

Back to top Go down

Post  Imperfection Thu 10 Feb 2011, 9:44 am

Rusty62TransAm wrote:HEMI I hope.

Regards

Rusty! Twisted Evil chev
Yep Cool don't know how it would fit, but it would be different scratch
Imperfection
Imperfection

Back to top Go down

Post  RAT BAG Thu 10 Feb 2011, 11:29 am

I found this in an old street machine mag if he is still liking the injected idea. got alot of good info in it aswell. i only took these pics with my phone cause I dont have a scanner sorry.

Fitting a new motor into an old car E727dda5

Fitting a new motor into an old car Eabadabc

Fitting a new motor into an old car 7cebb86e

Fitting a new motor into an old car 263630ef

very nice van too

in the article they list everything needed to do the convertion and they say (in the bit that you cant read haha that says "drive away no more to pay:" I can try and get a clearer shot of this if you like)once you have the engine box and loom to do the convertion properly once you have the write off you should get change from $3500 for everything else inc brakes, extractors, wiring, the lot. And its quite an old magazine (july 04) so it might be even cheaper now

RAT BAG
RAT BAG

Back to top Go down

Post  bns454 Fri 11 Feb 2011, 2:38 am

am slowley accrewing the parts for ls1 into my camaro. rear hump sump/pickup (cost $250 sh landed from states)camaro/trans am/corvette sumps all fit into hq no mods. holley are now making engine mounts that should also work (as mounts to 70s camaro are same as hq chev) my ls1 computer had to be programed to eliminate the bcm codes($500) otherwise it wont fire unless u use the entire commodore loom as ecu is coded to the key and car. a mate has fitted a ls2 into a ht prem and also needed ecu mod but made his own eng mounts and could not run the ac pump as it would not fit he has fitted a belt system from MARCH as i also have 2. an addapter is also needed if ur not using the factory trans eg t350/400 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbOHJCJPG64 link is to the ht premier
bns454
bns454
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  GT Fri 11 Feb 2011, 8:44 am

They way I understand the new rules the NSW RTA is bringing into force I'd be a bit carefull. As I understand it, if you fit a different motor into a vehicle then the day that it was fitted becomes the new date of manufacture and so the vehicle has to comply with ADR's current on that day. ie: you fit a LS1 into a HG on the 1/6/2011 then that is your new date of manufacture for the car and you may need things like stability control etc to get full rego otherwise the NSW RTA will shoehorn you into limited rego.
I dont want to scare you but I do suggest you contact the NSW RTA, or do a little research, before handing out the folding stuff for bits.

I have heard that the NSW RTA is trying to introduce this before the March election in NSW and I also believe (along with many others) that it's a ploy to get old & modified cars off the road.

I strongly suggest you have a read of this

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsccs_exempt_modifications.pdf

and this

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsccs_public_comment_dl1.html
GT
GT
Resident
Resident

Back to top Go down

Post  RAT BAG Fri 11 Feb 2011, 9:31 am

GT wrote:They way I understand the new rules the NSW RTA is bringing into force I'd be a bit carefull. As I understand it, if you fit a different motor into a vehicle then the day that it was fitted becomes the new date of manufacture and so the vehicle has to comply with ADR's current on that day. ie: you fit a LS1 into a HG on the 1/6/2011 then that is your new date of manufacture for the car and you may need things like stability control etc to get full rego otherwise the NSW RTA will shoehorn you into limited rego.
I dont want to scare you but I do suggest you contact the NSW RTA, or do a little research, before handing out the folding stuff for bits.

I have heard that the NSW RTA is trying to introduce this before the March election in NSW and I also believe (along with many others) that it's a ploy to get old & modified cars off the road.

I strongly suggest you have a read of this

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsccs_exempt_modifications.pdf

and this

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsccs_public_comment_dl1.html

shit thats a bit scary. Does anyone have a number that I can call to find out more info about this? I could probably get away with saying mine is an older windsor with fuel injection added (which is possible) but I want to have it as legal as possible so was going to get it engineered
RAT BAG
RAT BAG

Back to top Go down

Post  Bowtie383 Fri 11 Feb 2011, 9:39 am

Mate just ring their tech department.

Regards Tony
Bowtie383
Bowtie383
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2023!

Back to top Go down

Post  GT Fri 11 Feb 2011, 9:43 am

RAT BAG wrote: I want to have it as legal as possible so was going to get it engineered

The engineers report, as we know it, is also set to become a thing of the past. You will now be required to get your car "certified" by a licensed certifier and have a cert plate attached to your car.

Check this out....

http://you-have-to-be-kidding.blogspot.com/2011/02/vsccs-part-1-establishing-need.html
GT
GT
Resident
Resident

Back to top Go down

Post  RAT BAG Fri 11 Feb 2011, 10:02 am

So I have just called the rta because this really worried me.

I spoke to Mal haha, he was really helpful and an enthusiast like us, he told me that he hated the fact that the rta were "not in his words" trying to get old cars off the road.

He said that in regards to the date of manufacture bit, nothing has, or will be changing. He said that these rumours have been going around for a long time about the car meeting the standards for the date the engine was put in but that is wrong.

The car must meet the standards for the engine that has been put in the car ie. my xy van has to have an air filter fitted, has to have cat converters etc etc. these need to be up to the standards that the engine had when it was in the au. He said that I dont have to change anything on the car at all except for maybe the brakes but thats common sense.

He also told me that engineers certificates were looking to change. The reason being because of alot of dodgy engineers reports being done these days. Its basically the same according to Mal, you go and see an engineer and he tells you what needs to be done. Once it is all done and legal he sends off the information and pictures to a section of the rta who do the plates and send these out to you. I guess this was something that was bound to happen sooner or later with more and more dodgy engineers around these days

anyway thats a big load off my mind haha
RAT BAG
RAT BAG

Back to top Go down

Post  Imperfection Fri 18 Feb 2011, 3:03 pm

Went to the engineers today, if we buy a donor car use everything.And fit bigger brakes from a HQ,as he looked in his bible and the ht came out with a 350 ??????.So a 6 ltr chev is a goer Cool cheers cheers chev chev As long as it is n/a not blown rockon
Imperfection
Imperfection

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonny James Fri 18 Feb 2011, 3:30 pm

HKTG the biggest engine you can go to is a 396ci.

not sure what that is in the metric system
Jonny James
Jonny James
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Imperfection Fri 18 Feb 2011, 3:36 pm

SMQQTH wrote:HKTG the biggest engine you can go to is a 396ci.

not sure what that is in the metric system

Answer: 6 L = 366.142 in³ scratch
Imperfection
Imperfection

Back to top Go down

Post  RAT BAG Fri 18 Feb 2011, 5:15 pm

after the phonecall I made the other day I also sent an email off asking the questions so that I could get a response in writting to cover my bum later on Very Happy

got a reply today but its on my work email so ill post it up on Mon
RAT BAG
RAT BAG

Back to top Go down

Post  RAT BAG Mon 21 Feb 2011, 8:47 am

Here is the email that I got from rta

My Email:-
Hi there.
I am just writing in regards to something that I have heard today that concerns me.
For the last year I have been putting a fuel injected engine out of a 2002 Ford Falcon XR8 into my 1971 XY panelvan. As the xy came out from factory with a 302 and this engine is a 5 litre 302 I understood I would have to meet emissions laws by running an air filter, having cat converters fitted etc etc. That is not a problem. I have spent a lot of money shoehorning the brakes off the new ford onto the old one, and im in the process of fitted the airconditioning, power steering and even cruise control to the old panelvan and it is just about ready for engineering and to hit the road (give or take 6 months haha)

I have just been told that if I don’t get the car engineered before March that the laws will change and I am going to have to change A LOT on the car. From what I have been told the NSW RTA is bringing into force that if you fit a different motor into a vehicle then the day that it was fitted becomes the new date of manufacture and so the vehicle has to comply with ADR's current on that day. ie: you fit a LS1 out of a vx ss into a HG on the 1/6/2011 then that is your new date of manufacture for the car and you may need things like stability control etc.

Is this true. This car has been a work in progress for the last 3 years and I really don’t want to have had all my money go to waste.

Any information you can provide would be great.

Regards
Brad Clark

My first response was obviously for another person because it was this haha (might apply to some ppl here)

RTA:-
Dear Sir

I refer to your fax regarding you proposal to modify a VK Commodore by installing a Holden VE Commodore 6.2l engine, modifying the braking system, front & rear suspension and rear axle.

The table for engine capacity limits provided in VSI.06 and section 3.1.2.2 of the RTA’s Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Modifications shows that a non-turbocharged, non-supercharged 6.2l engine is acceptable as a replacement engine in your VK sedan as the tare mass of the Brock variant of the VK is 1360kg – this allows a max capacity of 6.7l for a non-turbocharged, non-supercharged engine.

Your proposed modifications are acceptable to the RTA provided you supply engineering certification as evidence that your vehicle complies with the vehicle standards requirements of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation, 2007.

This certification will need to provide evidence that the VE 6.2l engine continues to comply with the engine emission standard that it was built to (ie ADR.79/02). If it cannot be shown that the engine, in its entirety, was sourced from a VE Commodore that complied with that standard, then your vehicle will need to be tested and shown to comply.

Based on the extent of your brake modifications and the large increase in engine power (196kW to approx 325kW), that certification will also need to provide test results as evidence that your vehicle has passed the RTA’s abridged brake test.

If you choose to modify the 6.2l engine by turbo-charging or supercharging it after it has been fitted, your vehicle will be treated as an Individually Constructed Vehicle (ICV) and you must provide engineering certification to show that your vehicle has been tested and found to comply with all current ADRs applicable to it.

Regards
Barry Craig
Safer Vehicle Branch
NSW Centre for Road Safety

My Reply:-
Hi Craig
This fax wasn’t from me. I have included below the email that I have sent originally about putting an AU FALCON XR8 ENGINE into my 1971 XY panel van.

Thanks a lot for your time
Brad

And finally their reply:-
Dear Mr Clark

Sorry for any confusion my previous email may have caused although the base content of that email similarly applies to your vehicle.

Our modification requirements will not change in March although it is anticipated that the system under which modifications are certified in NSW will then be replaced by a new scheme, the Vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Scheme (VSCCS).

This will have no impact on the Date of Manufacture (DoM) of your 1971 model XY Falcon as a result of it being fitted with a replacement 2002 model 5.0l engine, power steering, air conditioning & brake system upgrades, provided the vehicle’s structure has not been altered, ie tubbed, chassis rails/subframe modified, etc.

If a vehicle is extensively modified (ie its structure changed; or converted from rear wheel drive to FWD or 4WD; or fitted with a replacement engine exceeding NSW limits, etc), it may be treated as an Individually Constructed Vehicle (ICV) in which case its DoM will be the date it is presented for registration purposes in its completed state. This has been the case in NSW since at least 1994.

To meet NSW engine emission requirements, your certification will need to show that the replacement 5.0l engine was sourced in its entirety from the XR8 (ie all engine/transmission sensors & control modules, and its air/fuel system from air cleaner outlet through unmodified engine to the last catalytic convertor). If this cannot be done, your certification must show that your vehicle complies with the relevant 2002 engine related ADR for engine emissions (ie ADR.37/01 Emission Control for Light Vehicles).
As vehicle noise requirements applicable to the 2002 model engine will also apply, your certification will need to show that the vehicle complies with ADR.28/01 External Noise of Motor Vehicles.

Similarly, based on the modifications to your braking system, your certification must show that the vehicle was tested and passed the RTA’s abridged brake test.

Regards
Barry Craig
RAT BAG
RAT BAG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum