MAJESTIC VANNERS AUSTRALIA INC.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gearbox delema [i think thats how you spell it]

+3
Special Delivery
Imperfection
fc59
7 posters

Go down

gearbox delema [i think thats how you spell it]   Empty gearbox delema [i think thats how you spell it]

Post  fc59 Mon 09 Jan 2012, 6:30 pm

hi guys i have a problem my bluEJay needs a new gearbox the trimatic is just not cutting it gg
on a round trip from west sydney to kiama and back 95% highway driving i got 22L to 100km affraid
its not so much the fule price that buggs me it the lack of range every hour and a half i have to stop and look for fule and the 3000rpm + it takes me to dirve 100kph gearbox delema [i think thats how you spell it]   58275

so the search for a new gearbox begins (well it started the day i got but things kept falling off between then and now) Shocked

NOTE : its running a holden red 6 motor and i wont a manule 5 speed Twisted Evil

i have been doing some research ive boilded it down to two options confused

1: toyo supra 5 speed dellows conversion kit
+strong / cheap ish / easy ish to get / conversion kits have been made and runn for quite some time now
- no one has fitted one in a long time (that ive spoken to) / kit seams to be made out off a bit off this a bit off that

2:holden VN V6 t5 castlemane,rod,shop
+ use an all aussie bellhousing and a adaptor plate to fit t5 / ratios are a bit more frendly / t5 are a bit easyer for me to get on the cheap
- no one has fitted one at all as far as i know / kit untryed

ok so any input ..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Oh please Very Happy
fc59
fc59
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2016!

Back to top Go down

gearbox delema [i think thats how you spell it]   Empty Re: gearbox delema [i think thats how you spell it]

Post  Imperfection Mon 09 Jan 2012, 6:41 pm

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1667683820&ref=name#!/groups/124286504270973/
Holden v8 to toyota 5speed conversion kit

comes with bellhousing to suit trimatic block, flywheel, clutch, full hydrolic clutch system
great for droping a 253 into your hilux or putting a supra 5speed into you old holden $350ono
Imperfection
Imperfection
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2017!

Back to top Go down

gearbox delema [i think thats how you spell it]   Empty Re: gearbox delema [i think thats how you spell it]

Post  fc59 Mon 09 Jan 2012, 6:55 pm

im running a red motor str8 6 not a V8

good link though
fc59
fc59

Back to top Go down

Post  Special Delivery Mon 09 Jan 2012, 8:09 pm

thats 12mpg in my terms, i think the problem is your diff ratio, 3000rpm @100ks is pretty high reving, also twin strombergs will suck a bit more juice. in the old days we used to put grey motor diffs in for more pickup, not sure of ratios.cheers ekka Smile Very Happy burnout
Special Delivery
Special Delivery
Majestic Vanner. Proud, Passionate and Paid Up!
Majestic Vanner. Proud, Passionate and Paid Up!

Back to top Go down

Post  fc59 Mon 09 Jan 2012, 8:32 pm

its better than the old holly it use to drink around 25L to a 100
the twins are running very VERY rich i have just had them rebuilt and im waiting for the stromberg man to come back from holidays and tune em up
but the fule is not my consern all i wont is a 5 speed when i change the box if that dosent make me happy ill change the diff

then the id have replaced almost everything driveline wise
fc59
fc59

Back to top Go down

Post  serendipity Mon 09 Jan 2012, 10:29 pm

what diff are you running? if you got the grunt in your 6, go 3.08 banjo out of a torana ect. they all fit
serendipity
serendipity
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2024!

Back to top Go down

Post  Bowtie383 Mon 09 Jan 2012, 11:08 pm

For the conversion go and have a talk to the guys at Dellow mate as it is just over at Revesby,the thing is as well you can get it straight over the counter and you know it is all there and if something isn't right you only have to go back and see them just a thought.

Regards Tony.
chev
"leave em"wanting more!
Bowtie383
Bowtie383
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2023!

Back to top Go down

Post  FreeMason Tue 10 Jan 2012, 3:49 pm

are you sure you dont have a fuel leak. 22L/100 is alot. i had a very touch 202. with a 2 barrel i got 16L/100. when i get the 175 CDs rebuilt i got 14L/100. and seen 11L/100 on the hwy. it ran M21 box and 3:08 ratio diff. and did 3000rpm at 100kph.
FreeMason
FreeMason
Van King!
Van King!

Back to top Go down

Post  fc59 Thu 12 Jan 2012, 7:07 pm

Bowtie383 wrote:For the conversion go and have a talk to the guys at Dellow mate as it is just over at Revesby,the thing is as well you can get it straight over the counter and you know it is all there and if something isn't right you only have to go back and see them just a thought.

Regards Tony.
chev
"leave em"wanting more!

the plan is to talk to dellow next week after work one day
the other problem is finding some one it fit the kit
are you sure you dont have a fuel leak. 22L/100 is alot. i had a very touch 202. with a 2 barrel i got 16L/100. when i get the 175 CDs rebuilt i got 14L/100. and seen 11L/100 on the hwy. it ran M21 box and 3:08 ratio diff. and did 3000rpm at 100kph.

nope no fule leak the only leak is a bit of engine oil from the rear main seal i have booked it in for a tune up at hume performance on satday morning there the people who rebuilt my carbies done a good job my bigest problem is i dont know what speck the motor is other than it has had a bit of head work done cos off the size of the ports and the short turn radious off the valve seat

the bloke i bought the car of didnt even know the model off car it was it was addvertised as an EH not EJ when i picked up on this while trying to buy the car he addimate that it was an EH cos it had a red motor mide you it also has a HR front end and a trimatic from a vk so by that logic its a ER commadore Laughing Laughing Laughing

what diff are you running? if you got the grunt in your 6, go 3.08 banjo out of a torana ect. they all fit

ive got the grunt burnout but no leggs gearbox delema [i think thats how you spell it]   58275 once the gearbox is sorted ill look into the diff and its gearing but first the the auto has to go its killing me not having three pedals
fc59
fc59

Back to top Go down

Post  adrenaline Sat 14 Jan 2012, 10:11 pm

Do not touch a celica steel case box , something is very wrong when the steel case wieghs about 10k less than the aloy case w55 etc supra.
The supra will not have strenth issues. I had one with YT alumium flywheel and it was magic. I only sold it after seriously doing in my back in and changed for a auto.
If you use your car for towing you can grab a 1989 ish hilux 2wd gearbox and use with the supra delow adapter kit. Gives you a low 1st gear.

It may pay for you to have a torque convertor built so it gives beter fuel economy.

Friend didnt listen to me and bought a steel case and walked a very long way home one night.

adrenaline

Back to top Go down

Post  fc59 Sun 15 Jan 2012, 7:22 pm

i have just spent the best part of the day out at a bolkes property who happens to have a lot of old holden stuff Laughing
as it happens he had 2 m20s at the right price with the shifters bell housings drive shaft more or less evey ting i needed two do a straight conversion and ill just live with a 4 speed and ill change the diff ratio if i cant live with that ill continue my long search for a supra 5 speed conversion but im still looking for some one to do the conversion no one wonts to touch it thats making me think thats its NOT an easy job and its not something i wont to try my self
fc59
fc59

Back to top Go down

Post  adrenaline Sun 15 Jan 2012, 7:45 pm

fc59 wrote:i have just spent the best part of the day out at a bolkes property who happens to have a lot of old holden stuff Laughing
as it happens he had 2 m20s at the right price with the shifters bell housings drive shaft more or less evey ting i needed two do a straight conversion and ill just live with a 4 speed and ill change the diff ratio if i cant live with that ill continue my long search for a supra 5 speed conversion but im still looking for some one to do the conversion no one wonts to touch it thats making me think thats its NOT an easy job and its not something i wont to try my self

Its dead easy to do a dellow supra conversion. i did mine. It was a 3 on the tree before it was a supra w55.
Since you have had a trimatic you have the large transmission tunnel so its just a mater of buying the dellow kit and bolting it in. the crossmemeber is normaly suplied with a a small metal box wich you weld into your crossmemeber and for people that cant weld they can supply them done. Most mechanics want quick easy jobs they can lie about and charge a fortune for. Seldom will you find some one that will do conversions in a mainstream workshop, You would be beter off doing it your self and spend the labour you would have paid on asome tools to last a lifetime and knoledge to share around. Go on do it your self , get your hands dirty. Its not a hard conversion it took about 5 hours and that was fitting a new engine aswell.

adrenaline

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down