MAJESTIC VANNERS AUSTRALIA INC.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Last minute van-in problems............

+6
Epic_Dragon
Rusty62TransAm
The Zodiac
HQVAN
Bowtie383
freestyler1
10 posters

Go down

Last minute van-in problems............ Empty Last minute van-in problems............

Post  freestyler1 Sun 01 Apr 2012, 8:18 pm

If you'd have asked me 48hrs ago would i be bringing my van to the van-in i would have given myself 40%.

Started with extractors on engine firing. YES
Next moved the distributor to make timing better, (MISTAKE 1) half a work day later finally got it firing again. Checked rest of exhaust it was knackered that joined the existing ones.
Found another complete exhaust in my wrecking yard out the back, then removed & put on the new headers, all good for the morning run to exhaust shop.

Up early Friday, engine fired, went too select Drive NOTHING..... checked under bonnet linkages were hitting new extractors....... NOOOOO.
Pulled everything out, moved linkages rewelded them up got motor into gear, will adjust properly later.
Drove it down too exhaust place, transmission slipping heaps, with straight headers was an interesting drive in 9am peak traffic.
Pulled in steam streaming from under bonnet, oil Dribble out of the rear transmission seal..... This day cannot get any worse.
Helped fit up exhaust, there was a few pieces missing, possibly now won't get completed today due to new bits needing to be bent up.

Picked up later that night, exhaust all completed (Yes something good today) topped up transmission fluid looked a bit milky too, bolted on a fan (that's why she overheated)
started the drive home.
Selector felt bit funny gears still slipping, then accidently i found R Reverse, four wheel skid van sideways on main road. A little bit of wee came out!!!
Limped van home, could'nt get past second gear..... Put it in the shed and kissed the chances of the van-in Goodbye.

Had Saturday off van, worked all day.......did'nt want too even look at it.

Up early Sunday, thanks for the extra hour Daylight saving finished.
Pulled out linkages, moved a few brackets rewelded again, this time everything lining up nicely.
Jacked car, decide to drain transmission completely, pulled off pan cleaned filter and start again.
Pulled out springs dropped in the 2" pedders lowering springs, everything went in smoothly.
Dropped van filled up transmission fluid few test in driveway, then hit the road, everything working beautifullly. Just need a new rear seal for tomorrow.
raceya raceya raceya raceya raceya raceya raceya raceya raceya raceya raceya raceya

Hard too believe how one day of really banging ya head against a wall, still not losing sight of getting everything completed.
A day just to let everything, settle & regain some foresight.
Then BAZINGA it all slots together. cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Anybody else struggling or achiving there van-in dream, not long now lads.......BRING IT ON.

Cheers Al. alien alien alien alien alien
freestyler1
freestyler1
Majestic Vanner. Proud, Passionate and Paid Up!

Back to top Go down

Last minute van-in problems............ Empty Re: Last minute van-in problems............

Post  Bowtie383 Sun 01 Apr 2012, 8:26 pm

Good to see you got it all soughted mate.looking forward to meeting you at the van in and yes not long to go Very Happy cheers

Regards Tony.
chev
"leave em"wanting more!
Bowtie383
Bowtie383
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2023!

Back to top Go down

Last minute van-in problems............ Empty Re: Last minute van-in problems............

Post  HQVAN Sun 01 Apr 2012, 8:32 pm

My heart was in my throat reading that Al!

I was thinking; NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Shocked

What a nightmare of a day!

And what a monster effort to turn all that around! A lesser man would of sworn, downed tools, admited defeat, and drowned his sorrows thinking about what might have been...

Never cross a man with the determination to get where he wants to go!

Well done mate it will make the trip to Albury all the more satisfying. job
HQVAN
HQVAN
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2022!

Back to top Go down

Post  The Zodiac Sun 01 Apr 2012, 9:01 pm

Great effort Al, you da man! Laughing

I've got work to do on the WB, it's still got it's mystery symptoms that makes it carry on like it's got a blown headgasket sometimes and runs normal others. Shocked Suspect

My theory is check all levels, fit some new minor bits, cross fingers and drive to Van In, as long as it gets there, lasts the weekend and limps home I dont care if it hangs 3 rods out the block when I get home it can just sit in the carport than until I get excited again! Twisted Evil

Needs new paint and panel after Easter anyway so might as well add new motor, brakes, diff and interior to the list. Rolling Eyes

2% Vanner
Rest in Peace Brother!
The Zodiac
The Zodiac
Fallen Vanning Legend, Cruising in Heaven. RIP.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rusty62TransAm Sun 01 Apr 2012, 9:53 pm

A Huge Sigh of Relief from me Al.

I'm doing this while reading your post: hh

Then this: bb

super Result!

Rusty!
Twisted Evil chev    

Holdens, TransAm Fronts, Custom Mods, Tunnel Rams & 350 Chevs!

At EASTER 2012 and then on the Sept/October Long Weekend since 2013 we've held our Annual Van-Ins.  All Welcome.  
Relive the 80's & Embrace the New Millennium!  
If you haven't been, You've been missing out on one of the Eastern States' Most Popular & Successful Annual Vanning Events!

Check the Events Page to find out what's happening this year!:

We have Chapters in Qld, NSW, Vic, SA and WA.  Club Rego available in QLD, NSW, Vic & SA.
Rusty62TransAm
Rusty62TransAm
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate Life Member!

Location : All the way from Hervey Bay to The Beautiful Hamilton Valley & back again!

https://majesticvanners.forumotion.com/t57-special-edition-hq-350

Back to top Go down

Post  Epic_Dragon Mon 02 Apr 2012, 6:33 am

WOW that was a massive crazy set of events! glad you have sorted it all out now though Smile full steam ahead Very Happy
Epic_Dragon
Epic_Dragon

http://add me on facebook, leonie dean or myspace www.myspace.co

Back to top Go down

Post  magnum500 Mon 02 Apr 2012, 7:54 am

I had one of those w/ends.i put new tyres on van for the trip .Now have a tyre rubbing and they are the same size?????? The replaced speedo drive gear with correct color to make speedo read right still reads the same so now have no idea .went towreckersfor a few bits .closed said he was open ! Got the Woopsie decided To go to flemington for muscle cars friggin javelin wouldn't start battery us 5 months old ggggrrrrr ! Rode in bosses car and just enjoyed the day .i have a list a mile long but will do my best. See you all Sunday thumbsup
magnum500
magnum500

Back to top Go down

Post  fc59 Mon 02 Apr 2012, 10:04 pm

i glad im not the only one with last min problems

good to hear to hear your back on the road cheers

ive been speending every after noon for the last week doing littel thing s to bulEJay to get her redy
on the weekend i have her fresh oil and filters
WELL IT MUST HAVE TASTED BAD BECAUSE SHE SPAT IT ALL OUT BOTH ENDS pale

i gess thats what happens when i change oil that is as old as the fossils that its made off for fresh and clean and expensive high grade oil Last minute van-in problems............ 58275

long story short im taking her to work tomoro to see how she is fealling if she can keep her fluids down
i think we are THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!!!

PS thats why i havnt beent o active the last week to much time down the garage... no.. no. scratch that
just been busy
cant spend to much time down the garage Twisted Evil
fc59
fc59
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2016!

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhino Tue 03 Apr 2012, 10:36 pm

Nice work Al, I've had many a day like that so I now how you feel. Like the time I drove Ice Pike to Robs just after I finished it and the only part I didn't replace in the rebuild sh!t it self halfway Evil or Very Mad

President 2012 & 2017
Rhino
Rhino
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate Life Member!

Back to top Go down

Post  freestyler1 Wed 04 Apr 2012, 12:53 am

Not out of the woods yet.....

Took van for first 100km/h spin watching the temp gauge
Slowly on the rise, then it happened!
It spiked I pulled over and worse case scenario - the thermostat housing decided to detanate.
The dodgy bolts pulled straight out of the manifold!
Let's just say the freshly painted engine/bay aint fresh anymore, under bonnet award is not gunna get
a look in now!!!!!

Got it sorted now new housing, thermostat and radiator on the cards today....
I'll be pushing it to Albury... But I'll be there.

Cheers Al.
freestyler1
freestyler1

Back to top Go down

Post  The Zodiac Wed 04 Apr 2012, 12:54 am

Rhino wrote:Nice work Al, I've had many a day like that so I now how you feel. Like the time I drove Ice Pike to Robs just after I finished it and the only part I didn't replace in the rebuild sh!t it self halfway Evil or Very Mad

Lucky we had a spare in the stash!!!!! Twisted Evil