MAJESTIC VANNERS AUSTRALIA INC.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any idea folks?

+3
Jonny James
David83WB
BonesnSkull
7 posters

Go down

Any idea folks? Empty Any idea folks?

Post  BonesnSkull Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:14 pm

Has anyone ever written a book that is like the "definitive history of vanning in australia"? If not I'd love to give it a go, get pics of all the old show vans, actual specs etc of the factory models-eg Sundowner/Drifter/Sandman etc, as well as stories from back in the 70's/80's when life was good!! Right through to how vanning is making a resurgance. Any ideas folks?? all help is greatly appreciated!!
BonesnSkull
BonesnSkull
Part of The Furniture
Part of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Any idea folks? Empty Re: Any idea folks?

Post  David83WB Thu 07 Jun 2012, 3:05 pm

Sounds like your on to a great idea there mate.

Would certantly be interesting reading. Im sure with all the resources on here you could have a fair crack at it.

Good work.
David83WB
David83WB
Majestic Vanner. Proud, Passionate and Paid Up!
Majestic Vanner. Proud, Passionate and Paid Up!

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonny James Thu 07 Jun 2012, 3:09 pm

The history of vanning in Australia.... Demands on who you talk to as to what happened and when!

Good luck to who ever has a go at it.
Cheers Jon
Jonny James
Jonny James
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post  BonesnSkull Thu 07 Jun 2012, 3:51 pm

I agree there John! everyone will have a different story as to what happened and where, but I thought that it might be ni9cve to gather a heap of stories and pics of and about vans and throw in some histroical stuff also fromthe factories as well as a few "did you know??" type facts. maker it a big, hard cover glossy job!! If I get enough interest, I may just consider doing it!
BonesnSkull
BonesnSkull
Part of The Furniture
Part of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  The Zodiac Thu 07 Jun 2012, 4:01 pm

I've thought about it a number of times, I have the resources, contacts, info etc all ready to go have been collecting van stuff for years and years.
A few issues with the concept........is it really worth the effort when the target audience would be extremely lucky to hit 1000 nation wide making it not financially viable in anyones eyes. And than there's the whole political issue of the 80's and covering it.....it's bound to upset a few however which way you cover it.
Since I'm not usually affraid to upset a few people with a few home truths when things slow down a bit for me I might give it a crack one day but it certainly wouldn't be a commercially viable prospect more a home published type thing to share around with mates within MV.
At the moment I'm concerntrating on trying to build two vans to start with(the others will get there chance after) and collecting vanning memorabilia for the Vanning Musuem I want to kick off once Checkmate's done. It wont be a museum open to the public due to the interest not really being there more so a place to call in and chat and have a quiet drink and reflect on all things vans. Cool

Cheers Rob

2% Vanner
Rest in Peace Brother!
The Zodiac
The Zodiac
Fallen Vanning Legend, Cruising in Heaven. RIP.

Back to top Go down

Post  BonesnSkull Thu 07 Jun 2012, 4:14 pm

Its a fair point that you make there Rob, 80's and the political bit.......how the mind dulls these things over the years. I was thinking a similar thing to what Allan M. Nixon did with the Beaut Utes Series originally. Then I think my imagination ran off with me a bit.... ds I wouldnt have thought that utes wouldve taken off the way they did, so that may be a thought also, if youm have got all the contact etc then I might as well leave it in your capable hands after you have built your vans, put me down for a copy yeah??
BonesnSkull
BonesnSkull
Part of The Furniture
Part of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  greycloud Thu 07 Jun 2012, 7:52 pm

It is certainly a great idea, it would be great to involve the publishers of Custom Vans and Trucks and some of their field staff like Trevor Poulson that used to cover the Qld sector from memory. Even try to get in touch with some of the guys that used to work in the custom van shops in the 70's as they would not only have some great stories but maybe even a collection of photos of custom vans they had worked on. I know of one trim company up this way that used to do a heap of custom vans and I know for a fact they had albums of vans they had done. I will contact them next week to see if they still have the albums. I think you would be surprised just how much interest a book like this would generate. I have photos of my vans up at work and the response from the general public is amazing. Any true blue aussie (male or female) that grew up in the 70's has memories of panelvans.
greycloud
greycloud
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2021!

Back to top Go down

Post  KustomCandy Sun 10 Jun 2012, 9:06 am

Going back a few years now, I met an (Immigrant) English guy that put out a Book on Australian Brown snakes. The first to be done at the time.
He went on to tell a group of us one night that the work load was huge. Took many years of research.
Finally when he had the info he needed wrote it out and headed off to find a Publisher in Sydney.
He spent a lot of time to find any one to take interest in his idea. (Does it sound like the Music industry?) He did of course.
Even then most of the material he wrote/collected was edited out. upon final printing. Which I believe he didnt have a lot of say over.

Personally I like the idea. I do actually think it would sell. As said, Look at utes. I also think a book on the Australian Vintage hot rod and drag racing scene would be popular. Tho it would be so condensed it would be boring.
As a side note thiers a book on Salt lake racing (Norm Harding) Im unsure if its a semi bio or a combination on the Aust scene? The point is worth nothing tho. So I do think your idea has potential.

Also try Graffiti publishing Aust. Have a long history on Aussie Cars/rods publishing. Best of luck

Dan
KustomCandy
KustomCandy
Resident
Resident

Back to top Go down

Post  0488TINTER Sun 10 Jun 2012, 12:21 pm

Without going into too much detail, lets just say i have a lot on experience in this field

if anyone is serious about this then message me and ill give some insight

prices are MUCH cheaper for this sort of thing now
0488TINTER
0488TINTER
Van King!
Van King!

http://www.0488TINTER.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down