MAJESTIC VANNERS AUSTRALIA INC.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free CV&T issue #7 (but you have to earn it)

+2
sinbin
cyclist253
6 posters

Go down

Free CV&T issue #7 (but you have to earn it) Empty Free CV&T issue #7 (but you have to earn it)

Post  cyclist253 Tue 14 May 2013, 10:37 pm

This might be a bit of fun or might fall flat on its face but here goes:

I have an early edition of CV&T to give away to an MV member. I’ll give it to whoever comes up with the most convincing story why they deserve it. I have no idea what that story might be; it could be tragic, hilarious, inventive or just interesting. I haven’t set a time limit, depends on the level of response.

It is issue #7 from 1978. I have scanned some color bits and a couple of B&Ws pages. Van shows at Sydney, Warrnambool, Geelong, Bendigo, Mildura and Altona are covered, short feature stories are done on individual vans and utes including HQ, HG, EH, C-10, XC, XA, FC, XB and HJ, while in the many general interest stories there are some “early years” shots of vehicles (and/or owners thereof) that later became household names. Just to name a few, Green Knight with stock headlights and no flares, Rod Hadfield with a stock Anglia van (must have bought it 15 minutes earlier), Tangerine Dream, Bionic Van, XX 308, Foxy Lady with a 161, Blue Knight, VAN 888 and probably others you might recognize.

Magazine is all there in reasonable condition (feels like it has gotten moist at some time) so is not in collector condition.

Pete

Free CV&T issue #7 (but you have to earn it) Scan_c10

cyclist253
cyclist253

Back to top Go down

Free CV&T issue #7 (but you have to earn it) Empty Re: Free CV&T issue #7 (but you have to earn it)

Post  cyclist253 Tue 14 May 2013, 10:40 pm

Free CV&T issue #7 (but you have to earn it) Scan0018
cyclist253
cyclist253

Back to top Go down

Free CV&T issue #7 (but you have to earn it) Empty Re: Free CV&T issue #7 (but you have to earn it)

Post  sinbin Tue 14 May 2013, 10:41 pm

VAN 888 = Mid Summer Dream

Regards, Smooth Cool

Free CV&T issue #7 (but you have to earn it) Innuendo_signature
sinbin
sinbin
Van God!!
Van God!!

Back to top Go down

Post  sinbin Tue 14 May 2013, 10:43 pm

Hmm, Mystic and PJ's Phoenix have a lot in common with the body shell. (Just throwing it out there!)

Regards, Smooth Cool

sinbin
sinbin
Van God!!
Van God!!

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclist253 Tue 14 May 2013, 10:43 pm

Free CV&T issue #7 (but you have to earn it) Scan0019
cyclist253
cyclist253

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclist253 Tue 14 May 2013, 10:47 pm

Free CV&T issue #7 (but you have to earn it) Scan0020
cyclist253
cyclist253

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclist253 Tue 14 May 2013, 10:49 pm

Free CV&T issue #7 (but you have to earn it) Scan0021
cyclist253
cyclist253

Back to top Go down

Post  Rohan Wed 15 May 2013, 12:40 pm

Just keep scanning more pages, I'm lovin the read...!!

-Stargazer.
Rohan
Rohan
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2032!

Back to top Go down

Post  The Zodiac Wed 15 May 2013, 12:44 pm

sinbin wrote:Hmm, Mystic and PJ's Phoenix have a lot in common with the body shell. (Just throwing it out there!)

Regards, Smooth Cool

Sure does Jon mentioned the same thing to me awhile back. Hmmmmmm. Cool

2% Vanner
Rest in Peace Brother!
The Zodiac
The Zodiac
Fallen Vanning Legend, Cruising in Heaven. RIP.

Back to top Go down

Post  The Zodiac Wed 15 May 2013, 12:45 pm

Stargazer wrote:Just keep scanning more pages, I'm lovin the read...!!

-Stargazer.

Come up with a convincing story and it'll be yours! Makes it easier to read on the crapper too, if you've got a hard copy. Twisted Evil

2% Vanner
Rest in Peace Brother!
The Zodiac
The Zodiac
Fallen Vanning Legend, Cruising in Heaven. RIP.

Back to top Go down

Post  geoffro057 Thu 16 May 2013, 2:57 am

i lost all my cv& t mags years ago and am trying to regain as many as i can id love to own it and promise ill keep it safe and sound so if no one else comes up with a reason like they are dying or something lol im your man Laughing bow agree thanks brightidea2
geoffro057
geoffro057

Back to top Go down

Free CV&T issue #7 (but you have to earn it) Empty We have an early leader

Post  cyclist253 Thu 16 May 2013, 9:47 am

geoffro057 wrote:i lost all my cv& t mags years ago and am trying to regain as many as i can id love to own it and promise ill keep it safe and sound so if no one else comes up with a reason like they are dying or something lol im your man Laughing bow agree thanks brightidea2

We have an early leader. Very clever use of the little yellow guys Geoff, your own little rent-a-crowd. FYI I have noticed at the Bendigo Swap Meet for several years Eddie Ford has had a huge stall with thousands of back issues of his publications including CV&T. Not sure if he has EVERY issue of every magazine though and can't remember what the price was.
cyclist253
cyclist253

Back to top Go down

Free CV&T issue #7 (but you have to earn it) Empty Geoffro057 is the winner

Post  cyclist253 Thu 23 May 2013, 8:16 pm

cyclist253 wrote:
geoffro057 wrote:i lost all my cv& t mags years ago and am trying to regain as many as i can id love to own it and promise ill keep it safe and sound so if no one else comes up with a reason like they are dying or something lol im your man Laughing bow agree thanks brightidea2

We have an early leader. Very clever use of the little yellow guys Geoff, your own little rent-a-crowd. FYI I have noticed at the Bendigo Swap Meet for several years Eddie Ford has had a huge stall with thousands of back issues of his publications including CV&T. Not sure if he has EVERY issue of every magazine though and can't remember what the price was.

Well, that was a disappointing waste of time, guess I won't put any of the others up !!

You win Geoff, message me with your address and I'll send it on its way.

Pete
cyclist253
cyclist253

Back to top Go down

Post  sinbin Thu 23 May 2013, 8:37 pm

cyclist253 wrote:Well, that was a disappointing waste of time, guess I won't put any of the others up !!
I think you'll find that most true Vanners already have a copy of all the CV&T magazines and that was always going to limit the amount of interest.
They are cool and offer interesting articles, though not many are going to build to 1970's spec's. On top of that you can buy them new (old stock) from Eddie Ford for around $6 a copy.

Regards, Smooth Cool

sinbin
sinbin
Van God!!
Van God!!

Back to top Go down

Post  geoffro057 Sat 01 Jun 2013, 8:23 pm

excellent thank you very much please send it to
Geoff dalgairns
12 merrigan street
Kyogle nsw 2474
and thanks again and smooth I hope you are not trying to say im not a true vanner I lost all mine cool2
geoffro057
geoffro057

Back to top Go down

Post  sinbin Sat 01 Jun 2013, 9:46 pm

Nah dude, you know if your a true Vanner or not. I was just explaining why the "uptake" may not have been all as expected.

Good luck with your win.

Regards, Smooth Cool

sinbin
sinbin
Van God!!
Van God!!

Back to top Go down

Free CV&T issue #7 (but you have to earn it) Empty On Its Way

Post  cyclist253 Mon 03 Jun 2013, 1:35 pm

geoffro057 wrote:excellent thank you very much please send it to
Geoff dalgairns
12 merrigan street
Kyogle nsw 2474
and thanks again and smooth I hope you are not trying to say im not a true vanner I lost all mine cool2

In the mail as we speak Geoff.

Pete
cyclist253
cyclist253

Back to top Go down

Post  geoffro057 Tue 11 Jun 2013, 12:10 pm

thanks thankyou i recieved my magazine today and am wrapped in it i couldnt help but sit down and imediatley go through it and i am over joyed at two of the items i noticed in it one was a feature on foxy lady when she was a 161 six cylinder and the other was a pic of green knight with hg headlights before the ford sqaure headlights were fitted these old mags are a great source of our vanning history and if you ever have any others you want to get rid of or sell keep me in mind brightidea2 anyway thanks again and keep on vanning burnout thumbsup terrific kewl banana
geoffro057
geoffro057

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclist253 Tue 11 Jun 2013, 8:44 pm

geoffro057 wrote: thanks thankyou i recieved my magazine today and am wrapped in it i couldnt help but sit down and imediatley go through it and i am over joyed at two of the items i noticed in it one was a feature on foxy lady when she was a 161 six cylinder and the other was a pic of green knight with hg headlights before the ford sqaure headlights were fitted these old mags are a great source of our vanning history and if you ever have any others you want to get rid of or sell keep me in mind brightidea2 anyway thanks again and keep on vanning burnout thumbsup terrific kewl banana

Really glad you're enjoying it, it's like giving away kittens, glad it went to a good home! Yeah I really love the old magazines too, mainly because I like cars that are subtly improved with good attention to detail rather than highly modified. In those days the cars we read about in mag's were close enough to the ones my mates and I either owned or spent our spare time working on for each other. When the mag's started to focus on the high end, I felt they got out of touch with the guy in his garage and I kind of lost interest. It's wild to read about Alley Cat in this forum because I specifically remember it from back in the day; no offence to the hard work, quality engineering and bulk money that went into it then and now, but when I read about its rebuild in the early 80's, getting a Jag rear end, a Jag motor and customized door frames I thought "I'm done", and never bought another magazine on vanning (or street machines for that matter).

I have another if you're interested, I picked up issues 5,7 & 8 at Geelong swap meet last month for $5 for the 3, so at that price I'm happy enough to just give them away to anyone who is genuinely interested. I already had issue 7, 8 I'll keep as it has a few Holdens that appeal to me but you can have #5 if you want, it is mostly Fords with several XA-C vans, a review on the new Sundowner, a really nice full page full color ad for the Sundowner as well as a lengthy write up on a new Valiant Duster van V8. I think both write-ups cop a mention in the book The Vans that Rocked.

Pete
cyclist253
cyclist253

Back to top Go down

Post  HQVAN Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:00 pm

Love the old issues of CV&T!

I am slowly getting through the complete collection I was lucky enough to purchase from a fellow Majestic...

Love the history, the old stories, the old advertisements, the old prices!!

Its all gold, a great slice of our vanning history.

Once I have gotten through them I am going to start scanning articles of interest for the Vanning History Threads.

Good on you Pete for sharing you copies ff , and well done to Geoff for snaring the first copy! Smile
HQVAN
HQVAN
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2022!

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclist253 Wed 12 Jun 2013, 4:33 pm

HQVAN wrote:Love the old issues of CV&T!

I am slowly getting through the complete collection I was lucky enough to purchase from a fellow Majestic...

Love the history, the old stories, the old advertisements, the old prices!!

Its all gold, a great slice of our vanning history.

Once I have gotten through them I am going to start scanning articles of interest for the Vanning History Threads.

Good on you Pete for sharing you copies ff , and well done to Geoff for snaring the first copy! Smile

Great minds think alike, I found a stash of old Custom Rodder mag's at a garage sale a few years ago, issues from #7 thru to #42 with only about half a dozen missing. When I read "The Vans that Rocked" book it made several references to occasional issues of Custom Rodder doing vanning articles in the years leading up to Eddie Ford's decision to spin CV&T off from CR. I've found a few of them and am going to scan and upload for general interest too. Very grass roots and primitive compared to the later years but great to read.
cyclist253
cyclist253

Back to top Go down

Post  geoffro057 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:11 am

:rock:I would be very happy indeed to receive another cv&t mag from you cyclist 253 that would be awesome they are great mags i understand what you mean about the vans getting beyond what the normal bloke could achieve in his garage its like there was two different eras of vans back then and some of the old vans moved with the times too, miss misty blues , scorpion moonlight dreamer  come to mind im sure there are heaps more too one of my all time favourite vans like most of Australia was van rat the attention to detail and the sheer toughness of its towering big block was a awesome sight
the first van i ever fell in love with was stargazer by bill nagel i must of read the feature on that van 1 million times when i was young one day i hope to copy some of stargazers ideas into a hq van which im in the process of raising the funds for now
later there was a second era of vans i call the fibreglass era with such stunners as checkmate , wizard , street legal  , hallucinations and the like my favourites from that era were checkmate and wizard for sure it blew my mind the first time i saw checkmate that unique paint work is awesome and the trans am fronts on those two vans just seem to sit better then most of the rest of the vans with trans am fronts i think
the vans of today are more back to what the first era of vans produced with basically stock looking vans and high attention to detail and workmanship quality the individuality of a van is like nothing else that is true i just hope there is enough vans to last another 50 years
you may have noticed i didn't mention alley cat in all that this is because i believe alley cat stood alone there was nothing like it anywhere and as far as i know there has never been anyone else brave enough to attempt to copy it it to me truly is the king of all the vans 
if you walk down the street ands ask any joe blow what does he know about panelvans i bet 99% woul;d say alley cats name everyone knew of it it is a true legend above all the rest i reckon
anyway as i said id be more than happy to receive another mag if you like let me know if you need my details again and thank you  for your kind generosity
long live vanning thumbsupwoohooSunny Wink
geoffro057
geoffro057

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclist253 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:01 pm

geoffro057 wrote::rock:I would be very happy indeed to receive another cv&t mag from you cyclist 253 that would be awesome they are great mags i understand what you mean about the vans getting beyond what the normal bloke could achieve in his garage its like there was two different eras of vans back then and some of the old vans moved with the times too, miss misty blues , scorpion moonlight dreamer  come to mind im sure there are heaps more too one of my all time favourite vans like most of Australia was van rat the attention to detail and the sheer toughness of its towering big block was a awesome sight
the first van i ever fell in love with was stargazer by bill nagel i must of read the feature on that van 1 million times when i was young one day i hope to copy some of stargazers ideas into a hq van which im in the process of raising the funds for now
later there was a second era of vans i call the fibreglass era with such stunners as checkmate , wizard , street legal  , hallucinations and the like my favourites from that era were checkmate and wizard for sure it blew my mind the first time i saw checkmate that unique paint work is awesome and the trans am fronts on those two vans just seem to sit better then most of the rest of the vans with trans am fronts i think
the vans of today are more back to what the first era of vans produced with basically stock looking vans and high attention to detail and workmanship quality the individuality of a van is like nothing else that is true i just hope there is enough vans to last another 50 years
you may have noticed i didn't mention alley cat in all that this is because i believe alley cat stood alone there was nothing like it anywhere and as far as i know there has never been anyone else brave enough to attempt to copy it it to me truly is the king of all the vans 
if you walk down the street ands ask any joe blow what does he know about panelvans i bet 99% woul;d say alley cats name everyone knew of it it is a true legend above all the rest i reckon
anyway as i said id be more than happy to receive another mag if you like let me know if you need my details again and thank you  for your kind generosity
long live vanning thumbsupwoohooSunny Wink

I think you have summed it up pretty well with your two eras, perhaps a third era could be thrown in too, being the "originals", the youngsters from the sixties and early seventies who used Holden panel vans as the original recreational vehicle to get away surfing, camping etc. and who bought them because they were the cheapest suitable vehicle available; thereby accidentally creating their own culture.
I certainly enjoyed the vans from what you call the first era, the HGs Green Knight and Midnight Oil have always stuck with me as impressive pieces of work. I had a lot of car magazines in the 70's and over the years they got thrown out but I never threw out the ones with those two vans in them.
I've dug out that issue of CV&T for you and will post it in the next day or so.
cyclist253
cyclist253

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum