MAJESTIC VANNERS AUSTRALIA INC.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why are old Ford vans so hard to find? Or are Holdens just better!

+2
Imperfection
The Zodiac
6 posters

Go down

Why are old Ford vans so hard to find? Or are Holdens just better! Empty Why are old Ford vans so hard to find? Or are Holdens just better!

Post  The Zodiac Fri 18 Feb 2011, 7:34 pm

Ok guys why are old Ford vans XC and earlier so hard to find?
I think there maybe a few reasons but was hopeing some of you guys had a theory or two and maybe a few of the older members might be able to shed some light on this.
My theories are:
1. Holden were more popular and outsold Ford?
2. The Fords didn't survive as well because they didnt have a full chassis and werent built to last like the Holdens?
3. Holden just make better/tougher products than Ford! Cool
4. Maybe the earlier Fords were prone to rust quickly?

What do you guys think? Because early Ford vans seem scarce these days compared to the better looking Holden product!

2% Vanner
Rest in Peace Brother!
The Zodiac
The Zodiac
Fallen Vanning Legend, Cruising in Heaven. RIP.

Back to top Go down

Why are old Ford vans so hard to find? Or are Holdens just better! Empty Re: Why are old Ford vans so hard to find? Or are Holdens just better!

Post  Imperfection Fri 18 Feb 2011, 7:51 pm

To be truthful i think that holdens were built better than fords,and their were more holden vans built than fords.With thicker metal,so they lasted longer.But in saying that there are more ford vans in newcastle than holdens.now
Imperfection
Imperfection
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2017!

Back to top Go down

Why are old Ford vans so hard to find? Or are Holdens just better! Empty Re: Why are old Ford vans so hard to find? Or are Holdens just better!

Post  vanning trucker Fri 18 Feb 2011, 8:00 pm

i think it was more of a image, people always related holdens to a van, so i think the holdens out sold the ford, and people related vans to holden, so everyone wanted one, but i always wonder were all the old ford show vans are? did they end up striped? still in peoples shed? just makes me wonder Question
vanning trucker
vanning trucker
Majestic Vanner
Majestic Vanner

Back to top Go down

Post  The Zodiac Fri 18 Feb 2011, 8:03 pm

Be real interesting to see actual production numbers for:
XA vans
XB vans
XC vans
XD vans too?

And compare too

HQ vans
HJ vans
HX vans
HZ vans
WB vans too?

It's easy enough to get production numbers but to actually get the number of vans might be a bit more trickier. Question

2% Vanner
Rest in Peace Brother!
The Zodiac
The Zodiac
Fallen Vanning Legend, Cruising in Heaven. RIP.

Back to top Go down

Post  vanning trucker Fri 18 Feb 2011, 8:08 pm

?i will try and find the book i had rob, it told, every old ford sold how many, etc vans sedans, and the prices they were in them days
vanning trucker
vanning trucker
Majestic Vanner
Majestic Vanner

Back to top Go down

Post  vanman69 Fri 18 Feb 2011, 8:32 pm

holdens are just better mate, everyone knows that Very Happy built for australian conditions, that why they lasted thumbsup chev NOS rockon

vanman69
Majestic Vanner
Majestic Vanner

Back to top Go down

Why are old Ford vans so hard to find? Or are Holdens just better! Empty RE-

Post  12slotter Sat 19 Feb 2011, 1:01 am

From what i can remember, when the VAN scene really kicked in which i think was in '73, everyone i knew wanted to drive around with the top gate up ,lots of my old mates were into surfing i tried, kept falling off so i just sat on the beach with the woman whoo whoo..... They even had there long boards so they could hang out the back as well, Tradies liked them , long lengths could stick out the back, rules for that kind of thing were pretty lax back then......Even that notion would put sales well in front.. even at the Drive In they were better i remember when we use to go, I'd open up the BARN DOORS people walk past and slam into them.. i think FORD were to late in adapting that style when they brought in the sundowner with the top/tail if my memory serves me correct that was '77 but don't quote me on that , But by then it was to late ..i bought my VAN in '75 i just like the style the way the front guards swept up and the dash got that wrap around feeling to it .i think it was more the convenience of the top/ tail that led GM to #1 in sales and that's probably why there's more around today...... But like a Diamond the FORD is a rarity 💩
12slotter
12slotter
Majestic Vanner
Majestic Vanner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Van Sat 19 Feb 2011, 11:02 am

Holden started first with optioned up HQ vans then saw the potential and released the Sandman
and Ford didn't get interested until much later on.Holden had already established the market as
being the van to get so Fords weren't as popular.Valiant Drifters came along at the end of the
70's van scene.I think Holden just sold a lot more vans than Ford so theres not many around.

Mad Van
Part of The Furniture
Part of The Furniture

Back to top Go down

Post  Imperfection Sat 19 Feb 2011, 6:29 pm

CL1-M-28 Panel Van Valiant Hemi 245 LC 3 Manual
CL2-M-28 Panel Van Valiant Hemi 245 LC 3 TorqueFlite automatic
CL3-M-28 Panel Van Valiant Hemi 245 3 Manual
CL4-M-28 Panel Van Valiant Hemi 245 3 TorqueFlite automatic
CL5-M-28 Panel Van Valiant V8 318 4 Manual
CL6-M-28 Panel Van Valiant V8 318 3 TorqueFlite A904 automatic
CL7-M-28 Panel Van Valiant Hemi 265 3 Manual
CL8-M-28 Panel Van Valiant Hemi 265 3 TorqueFlite automatic
There were 1700 built
Found this on the net,so it must be true Laughing
Why are old Ford vans so hard to find? Or are Holdens just better! Drifter

The Drifter was an upgraded 1977 Valiant CL panelvan. It came out standard to my knowledge with a 318 V8, and 4 speed box as standard. The black fairing behind the door glass was a plastic add-on which had no real use except asthetic appeal.

To my knowledge there were less than 2000 CL Panelvans ever made (around 1700 or so I think) and only a very limited number were released as Drifters. There were apparently only ever 6 Drifter Utilities made, all on the CL platform I believe.

I have only ever seen one true Drifter Panelvan, in the car park of Tea Tree Plaza in Adelaide. It was exactly the same in appearance as the one here, but had a 318 and 4 Speed with Standard collapsable column. No sign of column gear shifter here.

I heard that a friend of the girl who owned this car had a Gold Coloured Drifter Panelvan in his back yard at home, but I never did see it.

The model you can see in the photo is not a true Drifter. It is a mock up madefrom a 1977 CL Panelvan, originally fitted with a 245 Hemi 6 and 3 on the tree, but upgraded to a 265 Hemi 6 with hot cam, extractors, a 350 holley carb, 4 speed, and 2 1/4" exhaust system from extractors back. It was fitted out with an E-55 Charger dash, and had a Charger Filler Cap instead of the standard
cast item.

The rims were standard Charger dress rims painted up to the Drifter colours as was standard, with the rear rims taken out a few inches wider. Tyres were 245/60 Bridgestone Eagers up front, and 265/50 Bridgestone Eagers at the back. The front tyres would j-u-s-t turn lock to lock within the stabiliser bar fitted. It was fitted with a SAAS sports wheel and CL Cloth Trim Bucket Seats.
Imperfection
Imperfection

Back to top Go down

Post  Imperfection Sat 19 Feb 2011, 7:20 pm

Could only find this about Sundowners
The sundowners were different in the fact that only about 800 were made of each model Falcon, some were also made in the XD's
Imperfection
Imperfection

Back to top Go down

Post  The Zodiac Sat 19 Feb 2011, 7:41 pm

So Drifter/Sundowner numbers are heaps lower than Sandmans. Great info there James. thumbsup