MAJESTIC VANNERS AUSTRALIA INC.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trail bike??? opinions...

+2
Imperfection
VanGoes
6 posters

Go down

Trail bike??? opinions... Empty Trail bike??? opinions...

Post  VanGoes Sat 04 Feb 2012, 3:39 pm

I told a mate that when he quits his weekend job, that I'd buy a trail bike and we'd go riding occasionally.

Now it's time.
I can easily count how many times I have ridden a bike... I've always preferred 4 wheels and a steering wheel.

Been looking at those Chinese bikes... cheap... but not very fast and the frames are so thin.

I'm 6 foot and about 90kg (goal weight 100kg). Want a cheap used bike that I won't care if when I drop it (& I will). If I have to spend over $1500, want it a Road/Trail so I can register it to ride to work. But an old strong $500 jap trail bike would be ideal.

What should I look for... brand, cc... 250cc I think would be ok... I have ridden a 500cc trail before (and found out that I can fly like a bird for a few meters no problem, when the bike hits a log in the grass Laughing Embarassed )

The old local bike wreckers says that 10 yrs ago, he had heaps for sale, now none... no one sells them to him... all ebay.

Advice please...
VanGoes
VanGoes
Majestic Vanner. Proud, Passionate and Paid Up!

Back to top Go down

Trail bike??? opinions... Empty Re: Trail bike??? opinions...

Post  Imperfection Sat 04 Feb 2012, 3:57 pm

yamaha
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yamaha-TTR-250cc-1999-model-/160727387896?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item256c194ef8
Imperfection
Imperfection
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2017!

Back to top Go down

Post  VanGoes Sat 04 Feb 2012, 5:03 pm

Thanks James,
That looks nice.. with the spares, I could get it registered.

I'll keep it in mind... it's probably worth the money, but it's in Vic and at the top end of my price range...

There was a Honda XL250 81' model in the local paper for $1000... but it already sold.
VanGoes
VanGoes

Back to top Go down

Post  bns454 Sat 04 Feb 2012, 5:55 pm

ive got an old 94 wr250z 2smoke and wouldnt trade it for the world it easley smashs most new 4 stroke dungers that my mates have 06wr250/02xr400 and a few new crfs and give them a quick ride and thay come back shaking and dont want to swap back. a realy good one can be had for about $2500 but have seen some go for $1500 unregoed.
i have also owned a 92 rmx250 was an awesome bike also and can be had for around the same money. i started on an IT 175 and it gave me many years of service and went well but there thin on the ground now but can be had for $500-1000
the new cheap chinease bikes look ok but ride like a $10 hooker and are weak as p#*s my wife had an 09atomic250 as a learner the shocks were stuffed within 1 hour 3rd gear blew at about 3 hours and the frame had already cracked in 3 places.
she now has a o1 KLX 250 chook chaser. good learner bike but slow as a wet week.
for the money and your weight your better off finding a 90s jap 250 2 stroke enduro if your mates have fast bikes. or a 90s 250 4 stroke (xr/wr/ttr/klx/klr)if they are slow. a DT 175/250 could also do you well as a first bike.
my other bike is a banshi 350 quad but there not for the faint hearted but any of the farm orientated quads can be good fun and dont require much skill to ride
bns454
bns454
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonny James Sat 04 Feb 2012, 6:03 pm

Got a Yamaha WR 450F here I need gone ASAP.

2008 model

Has never been registered, only thing need for rego is the speedo hooked up.

Have spent a heap on parts to bring it up to a road worthy state.

Great bike to ride heaps of power yet tame enough if you don't open it up.

Motor has had a rebuild by previous owner.

I have ridden it for around 25 hours with out any problems, oil changed after every ride.

Hoping to sell for around $6000 ono
Cheers Jon gone

Jonny James
Jonny James
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bns454 Sun 05 Feb 2012, 2:26 am

agree wilth above a great bike but probley out of your price range. if your a beginner you cant beat a beater that doesent cost a motsa to replace fenders after you watch crusty vidios (i know but back flips hurt when your leg bone comes thru your knee) thats y i bought the banshi and play soft now lol but most nubies will try to 4 stroke you cause thay love tractors and dont know better but real men love boost just u tube x games and ask y are the top riders on 10+ year old bikes not emmissions frendley current chook chasers.
bns454
bns454
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  agro Sun 05 Feb 2012, 8:56 am

What about an '89 KDX200 for $1K ????
agro
agro

Back to top Go down

Post  tastig Sun 05 Feb 2012, 9:10 am

have had a heap of trailies over the years and would nt touch those chinese things.. just going thru it with the missus's teenage boy ..yeh it only cost $700 but every ride it comes back broken ...things you know the well known brands would stand up to...had one of the early xl 's good in their day but big heavy and slow... you might be able to pick up an rmx for that dollar i think you could rego them from about 98 [but you would nt want to travel to far on the tar] top bikes and not as peaky as the mx bikes...other options kdx 200..wr 200/250 any of the honda xr's............. 2 strokes ...pros..lighter/more power/cheaper to rebuild cons..mixing fuel/peaky power/rebuild more often[the modern 4 strokes are up their now] 4 stroke [early ones] pros..will run for ever/ finish your ride wash it and push it in the shed for next time/will get anywhere the other bikes /will prob easier to learn on cons...heavy [prob 125kg instead 110 etc] slower than the 2 bangers [think driving a non turbo diesel] might get used to and bored with power etc..no mixing fuel...........the drz 400' s are getting cheap now they are a great bike...i ve had a couple of them and although a little heavy lifting over trees etc ..you dont notice it while riding they blow the xr 400 away and i was always amoungst the modern 450's while riding ..even an earlier dr 350 was pretty good a fair bit extra power than the 250..suppose you need to decide if you really want rego ..if not it opens up a lot more options ...before the "new" 4 strokes hit the scene me and my mates were using the 250 mx bikes for trail riding and putting fly wheel weights on them which transformed them from peaky 2 stroke animals to a smoother more rideable enduro bike power delivery
tastig
tastig

Back to top Go down

Post  VanGoes Tue 07 Feb 2012, 12:07 am

Thanks for the advice dudes...

I never really liked the sound of a 2 stroke... but it's a sound I'm willing to tolerate for the get up n go.

Will avoid the China bikes and 4 strokes... I certainly can't afford one of the newer decent models.

With the list of models everyone has suggested... I'll be able to make a better choice. Thanks.
Agro... I'll send a PM.

Cheers,
Jason
VanGoes
VanGoes

Back to top Go down

Post  VanGoes Sun 12 Feb 2012, 3:51 am

Trail bike??? opinions... B9blu

I love when a new toy starts with a story Laughing

Saturday arvo... I order a pizza and then get a call from a mate.
"Hurry around... a neighbour is selling his bike, but there is someone else interested in it... you'll have to hurry"

So I as soon as the pizza arrives, I'm out the door... gone

I look the bike over... It starts... that was enough for me... off to the bank to grab some cash... gone

Now I have a song by Garbage running through my head... "... I nearly died..."

I've ridden small bikes and once rode a 500cc trail bike and come-a-guttza...

Now I own a Yamaha_tt600. Got it for $600.
It might be a 4 stroke... but still the most powerful I've been on and WOW... I'm OK with it in a big way! rockon

Only has a kick start and I swear I could hear it laughing at me (along with the growing crowd in the street Embarassed ) but it finally kicked over and I didn't drop it (yet).

Thanks again all for the advice and sorry Agro... i was supposed to check out your bike today (Sunday) and i know you put in an effort getting it ready for me... but I couldn't pass up on this one... 600cc for $600... A bit much for a learner... but if I live through the first few rides... it'll be worth it. Twisted Evil

Now looking for a trailer Smile

Cheers,
Jason (VanGoes)
VanGoes
VanGoes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum