MAJESTIC VANNERS AUSTRALIA INC.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Removing column gear shift

2 posters

Go down

Removing column gear shift Empty Removing column gear shift

Post  master6 Thu 15 Oct 2015, 8:31 pm

I am converting my HG van from 3 speed manual to aussie 4 speed.
I have the steering column out. The spring loading in the gear lever moves the lever toward the steering wheel. My recollection from last driving it about 15 years ago is that the spring load moved it toward the dash, that is, the 2nd and third gear plane. Any suggestions as to what is going on here please? Second question, I want to remove evidence of the gear lever having been on the colomn, by grinding off the protrusion that the lever pivots in. Can I also remove the gear shift mechanism inside the steering column, and the selector levers at the bottom end of the column?

master6
Resident
Resident

Back to top Go down

Removing column gear shift Empty Re: Removing column gear shift

Post  panoz78 Mon 19 Oct 2015, 12:14 am

My memory of the tree speed was pull into steering wheel and down for first then up and towards the dash for secon straight down for third
Reverse was towards the steering wheel and up.
And as far as cutting the pivot of it wouldn't be the first time it's been done .
Plenty of Eh's-Hr's have had it done. Over the years.... cheers
panoz78
panoz78
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2024!

http://cherone@bigpond.com

Back to top Go down

Post  master6 Mon 19 Oct 2015, 8:17 am

Smile Smile Thanks for the advice. I have finally managed to disassemble the whole steering column to its individual components, and removed the selector levers that protrude from the lower end into the engine bay. I am making up a steel sleeve to fit where these items were located.
I am going to lathe the upper protrusion where the gear lever came out, then fill the hole, and 2 pak the dash and all steering column components, including steering wheel.
I have the Gregory Manual. and Ellery Manual, but neither told the full story. Oh for a genuine factory manual.

master6
Resident
Resident

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum