MAJESTIC VANNERS AUSTRALIA INC.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Club Plates on Modified Cars

+4
The Zodiac
big rob
HQVAN
Bowtie383
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Club Plates on Modified Cars Empty Club Plates on Modified Cars

Post  Bowtie383 Wed 19 Oct 2011, 2:10 pm

When I was in another Holden club they had club rego as far as I know they still do,rules were you had to of been a member for 12 months go on at least 6 runs and be involved your car had to be like it was from the factory and be 30 years and over.
My monaro had no chance and still today it has no chance,so what I would like to know is why can modified cars in QLD&VIC have club plates and in NSW we can't?or is it that these clubs and individuals are abusing the system,don't get me wrong if they can get away with it good luck to them.
We have had a discussion before saying why street machines can't have the same rego as rods and that has been going on for a long time,myself I would like to have club rego for my car but I would like to know that it is legal.

I would like to know your thoughts on this or from someone who may know a bit more.

Regards Tony.
chev
Bowtie383
Bowtie383
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2023!

Back to top Go down

Club Plates on Modified Cars Empty Re: Club Plates on Modified Cars

Post  HQVAN Wed 19 Oct 2011, 4:23 pm

Hey Tony,

These are the rules as they stand for Club Permits in Victoria:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/PermitsModificationsAndDefects/OtherPermits/ClubPermits.htm

I'm not sure on how they operate in other states.

Cheers,
Karl.
HQVAN
HQVAN
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2022!

Back to top Go down

Post  HQVAN Wed 19 Oct 2011, 4:32 pm

Looks like the regulations are definitely stricter in NSW:

http://cadillaclasalleclub.com.au/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=17

Sad

HQVAN
HQVAN
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2022!

Back to top Go down

Post  Bowtie383 Thu 20 Oct 2011, 10:20 am

Thanks Karl,they seem too be a bit more relaxed with the rules in QLD.

Regards Tony.
chev
Bowtie383
Bowtie383

Back to top Go down

Post  big rob Sat 05 Nov 2011, 12:57 am

I have a VG Valiant Safari wagon in original condition (was the father in laws) and I have it on club rego. My club is very strict on only allowing standard or close to standard cars on historic plates, but recently at the South Coast Nationals in Moruya I met a guy with an FC Holden that was on historic plates. His car had a red motor with triple su's, extractors, HR front end with disc brakes, bucket seats, mag wheels, etc....... Basically, a Street Machine on Historic plates. It was a real nice car, but nowhere near standard.
I asked him how he was able to do this and he just said his club had no problem with the "minor" mods and it was still pretty standard in their eyes!
I can't exactly remember the club he was in, but it was one of the many "FC - EK" clubs that exist.
I'm thinking of getting on the inspection team at my club and that might make registering some of my cars with "minor" mods easier.
big rob
big rob
Resident
Resident

Back to top Go down

Post  Bowtie383 Sat 05 Nov 2011, 12:21 pm

Rob,was you ever any any of the ASMA meeting's when we used to discuss this back in the 80s,Graham Stubbs was pushing for this for a long time well into the 90s but I don't know the situation now?.

I founded a club in 2003 we are all mainly mates and there is just 8 of us including our familys we do not want to get any bigger we like it how it is,and most of our kids drive now as well,we are unregisterd but maybe we should become a registerd club and get onto this rego scheme.

My monaro has no body mods eccept the reverse cowl scoop that sits only 3 inchsmbut that is the only mod but all the running gear is modified stroked small block full manulised T350 9 inch and it is a GTS Coupe Ima even returniing the badges back on it.

It will be only coming out about twice a month if that so I cannot see why I cannot have it on club rego if my club and including myself does everything right.

I also know you have to have a qualified mechanic in your club to be a register,not a problem there we have 2 of them,this is not just for my car but at least 3 other members have very minor mods to their cars,a HR very simular to what the FC you descibed.

Anyway lets see what happens.

Regards Tony.
chev
Bowtie383
Bowtie383

Back to top Go down

Post  The Zodiac Sat 05 Nov 2011, 1:24 pm

MV should look into it eventually, we have numerous qualified mechanics on here.
Cheers Rob

2% Vanner
Rest in Peace Brother!
The Zodiac
The Zodiac
Fallen Vanning Legend, Cruising in Heaven. RIP.

Back to top Go down

Post  big rob Sat 05 Nov 2011, 11:34 pm

I was an active member back in the 80's but was never on the commitee. I used to help out with the Cruise nights that Stubbsy organised from Flemington markets (right beside the Police station....that was interesting!).
I think there's room for modified cars on club rego, the Hotrod guys do it and let's face it, apart from the age of the cars we are all driving Hotrods....I personally don't see any difference, and our aim is the same, to drive a modified or custom car on the street without watching our rearview mirrors constantly for cops.

Anyway, about club rego. I don't know how hard it is to establish the club and have it eligible for club rego, but it can't be too hard. I think the club needs to be a member of the Aust street rod fed, or maybe the Aust Street Machine fed and as you stated, have a member that is a mechanic for the inspections. After all the red tape has been cut, then we can appoint inspectors in various areas to do the annual safety inspection.

Surely we can get together and have a "Majestic Vanners Club" and pool our resourses. I'm not one of those guys that likes formal car clubs and all the meetings and minutes and other Woopsie that they generate, but in this case the end justifies the means and if we can have club rego for safe, infrequently driven cars, vans, utes, wagons, etc, then I think it's worth the effort. I'd love to have a couple of my Toranas and the Ute I'm building on club rego as they will only be driven now and again and I can't afford full rego on them all.

Lets see what we can find out........
big rob
big rob
Resident
Resident

Back to top Go down

Post  0488TINTER Sun 06 Nov 2011, 12:29 am

big rob wrote:I was an active member back in the 80's but was never on the commitee. I used to help out with the Cruise nights that Stubbsy organised from Flemington markets (right beside the Police station....that was interesting!).
i remember those, we had to put those magnetic strips on the back of the car to get a clear pass from the cops
thats where Karl got pulled over for no bonnet on the way there

big rob wrote:Surely we can get together and have a "Majestic Vanners Club" and pool our resourses.....
Great idea
0488TINTER
0488TINTER
Van King!
Van King!

http://www.0488TINTER.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bowtie383 Sun 06 Nov 2011, 10:19 am

Rob,I would be more then happy for a few of us to get together and sought something out but that would be up to the founders of Majestics,one of our mechanics also does pink slips as well so there is no prob and his buisness has been astablished for over 20 years,as I said we have 2 mechanics in the club so that is a plus.

I am still going to check out what is involved in registering our club,I know we have to trademark the name for starters so I will see how it goes,when the rebuild on the Monaro is finished or as we know they are never finished I will be starting on a new progect that will be a cruiser and I would llike to put that on club plates as well and yes my Majestic family it will be a van Very Happy

Regards Tony.
chev
Bowtie383
Bowtie383

Back to top Go down

Post  big rob Mon 07 Nov 2011, 1:17 am

I was checking out the latest Street Machine (nov) and noticed on page 20 a blue HQ wagon on club plates with a 500+ cubic inch blown and injected motor out of an 8 second drag car and obviously a lot of other mods judging by the burnout it was doing.

It had plates with an "S" prefix, which I believe is for a Streetrod (my wagon has "H" for historic), so who is inspecting these things and deeming them road legal? Don't get me wrong, I'm not whinging (I'm jealous!!!), it's just that most of us want to drive our cars/vans/utes/wagons that are a lot less radical and are worried about being booked.

So if he can do it......so can we. We just need to find out how and get organised.

Of course I jumped the gun suggesting a Majestic Vanners club without properly asking those that run the forum and I'm sorry if that caused a problem, I just got caught up on the topic and got ahead of myself. It just seemed logical at the time.

I was also just reading about Alley Cat and Checkmate being restored and these vans are a part of Australia's automotive history not just van history, and would be perfect candidates for club rego in my opinion if that's what the owners wanted. Any old car that has survived and been driven regularly whether modified or not, has earned the right to be on club rego, as long as it's roadworthy.

big rob
big rob
Resident
Resident

Back to top Go down

Post  The Zodiac Mon 07 Nov 2011, 7:26 am

big rob wrote:So if he can do it......so can we. We just need to find out how and get organised.

Of course I jumped the gun suggesting a Majestic Vanners club without properly asking those that run the forum and I'm sorry if that caused a problem, I just got caught up on the topic and got ahead of myself. It just seemed logical at the time.

I was also just reading about Alley Cat and Checkmate being restored and these vans are a part of Australia's automotive history not just van history, and would be perfect candidates for club rego in my opinion if that's what the owners wanted. Any old car that has survived and been driven regularly whether modified or not, has earned the right to be on club rego, as long as it's roadworthy.

Hey Rob,
Rusty, Rhino and myself have discussed this idea a few months back and Rusty was going to look into it a bit more. We have several qualified mechanics that are MV members, Rhino, Tub350 and myself are 3 straight off the top of my head, I was also an RTA examiner(pink slips) so we have that covered at least.
So there's a pretty good chance that in the near future MV may have club rego depending on whats involved.
Cheers Rob

2% Vanner
Rest in Peace Brother!
The Zodiac
The Zodiac
Fallen Vanning Legend, Cruising in Heaven. RIP.

Back to top Go down

Post  Bowtie383 Mon 07 Nov 2011, 11:30 am

Well I found out I have to go to the department of fair trading to register our club,when I get a chance this week I will go down and grab the forms and take it from there,once we are registered I will go to the RTA and then see what is involved.

The main thing I want to find out is if you have to be a registered club for so many months or longer and that we can be a part of the rego scheme.

Rob,you are right about checkmate and alleycat I agree with it all the way,that guy with the Q you really have to question that one?
We all know that to have rod rego it must be pre48 maybe it is a queensland car and they are a bit more relaxed on this rule then other states.

A mate of mine that lives in QLD is a member of a club and as he told me they have a few cars that are modified and all on club rego,here is an example 4 door LC Torrie VS clubsport motor and box and procharger,shortened 9 inch mini tubbed 18x6 18x10 wheels and a cage all on club rego.

The club he is in does not have a problem with it and I say good luck to them,as I said as long as you do not abuse it and drive you car with care and don't draw attention I do not see a problem,if I want to open my thing up and including others we have Sydney Dragway down the road.

Regards Tony.
chev

Bowtie383
Bowtie383

Back to top Go down

Post  Bowtie383 Mon 07 Nov 2011, 11:36 am

The Zodiac wrote:
big rob wrote:So if he can do it......so can we. We just need to find out how and get organised.

Hey Rob,
Rusty, Rhino and myself have discussed this idea a few months back and Rusty was going to look into it a bit more. We have several qualified mechanics that are MV members, Rhino, Tub350 and myself are 3 straight off the top of my head, I was also an RTA examiner(pink slips) so we have that covered at least.
So there's a pretty good chance that in the near future MV may have club rego depending on whats involved.
Cheers Rob

Rob,how long have you guys been looking into this mate and how far have you come with it by the way mate why didn't you say something about this when I first statrted the thread until now?

Regards Tony.
chev
Bowtie383
Bowtie383

Back to top Go down

Post  Rusty62TransAm Mon 07 Nov 2011, 12:42 pm

Gidday Guys

This is the 1st time I've looked at this particular thread. ..and believe me, there are a lot I haven't read yet. Not enough time in a day.

I accept the responsibility.

I'm guessing that Rob hasn't mentioned it sooner (being nice to me) as I said I would look into it in Vic as I have been told that you now don't have to live in NSW to be in a Vic Club with Club Rego.

I live on the Border of NSW & Vic. The Local Chrysler Club Guys advised me of the above.

I have to find out how to become a recognised Club in the Eyes of VicRoads and take it from there.

Unfortunately I'm up to Pussy's Bow with my other commitments. I'll get back onto this shortly.

Rusty!
Twisted Evil chev    

Holdens, TransAm Fronts, Custom Mods, Tunnel Rams & 350 Chevs!

At EASTER 2012 and then on the Sept/October Long Weekend since 2013 we've held our Annual Van-Ins.  All Welcome.  
Relive the 80's & Embrace the New Millennium!  
If you haven't been, You've been missing out on one of the Eastern States' Most Popular & Successful Annual Vanning Events!

Check the Events Page to find out what's happening this year!:

We have Chapters in Qld, NSW, Vic, SA and WA.  Club Rego available in QLD, NSW, Vic & SA.
Rusty62TransAm
Rusty62TransAm
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate Life Member!

Location : All the way from Hervey Bay to The Beautiful Hamilton Valley & back again!

https://majesticvanners.forumotion.com/t57-special-edition-hq-350

Back to top Go down

Post  Rusty62TransAm Mon 07 Nov 2011, 12:42 pm

Ps. we were keeping it on the quiet until we have most of the answers.

Rusty!
Twisted Evil chev    

Holdens, TransAm Fronts, Custom Mods, Tunnel Rams & 350 Chevs!

At EASTER 2012 and then on the Sept/October Long Weekend since 2013 we've held our Annual Van-Ins.  All Welcome.  
Relive the 80's & Embrace the New Millennium!  
If you haven't been, You've been missing out on one of the Eastern States' Most Popular & Successful Annual Vanning Events!

Check the Events Page to find out what's happening this year!:

We have Chapters in Qld, NSW, Vic, SA and WA.  Club Rego available in QLD, NSW, Vic & SA.
Rusty62TransAm
Rusty62TransAm
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate Life Member!

Location : All the way from Hervey Bay to The Beautiful Hamilton Valley & back again!

https://majesticvanners.forumotion.com/t57-special-edition-hq-350

Back to top Go down

Post  The Zodiac Mon 07 Nov 2011, 9:09 pm

Rusty62TransAm wrote:Ps. we were keeping it on the quiet until we have most of the answers.

That was the original plan, I only mentioned it after it was brought up and expanded on.

It'll take time and money, if and when MV heads down this path we'll register the club, and start the whole club rego thing (if we can) which in turn will mean anyone wishing to part take in this will have to be prepared to pay an annual membership fee and be accepted into the club as a member. (it wont be handed out to any joe blow).

The last thing anyone wants after doing all the hard yards is one person bringing it all undone with a thoughtless act.

As Rusty said he'll get to it when he can, and I know he'll do a great job of it as he always does, we all do what we can but sometimes finding the time proves difficult.

Let's keep the info and updates coming guys and we'll try and make this happen.

Cheers Rob