MAJESTIC VANNERS AUSTRALIA INC.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Judging vehicles

+9
freestyler1
Wizard429
serendipity
The Zodiac
Squeaker2
Bowtie383
vanner065
VanGoes
MajesticXX7
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Judging vehicles - Page 2 Empty Re: Judging vehicles

Post  serendipity Wed 26 Oct 2011, 6:26 pm

us and them??????, i am disappointed, never thought i would hear that on this forum, cheers for now..... scratch
serendipity
serendipity
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2024!

Back to top Go down

Post  Imperfection Wed 26 Oct 2011, 6:30 pm

Bugger
Now i'm confused am i a.
Us or a Them Neutral or just a ford driver Laughing
Imperfection
Imperfection
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2017!

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonny James Wed 26 Oct 2011, 6:41 pm

us and them...

In general this is the feeling I have had for years now...

As a rule I have felt like we are 'them' (MV frond upon) and they are 'us'. By 'us' is ment like we are the vanners of Australia and its our way and don't ever have a say or try to have an input into how the van scene will be in Australia in the future.

Not by any means am I trying to stereo type all 'vanners' out there, just the ones I and the early MVer's have had dealings with in the early days.

Hope this has cleared a few things up.
Jon
Jonny James
Jonny James
Founding Member

Back to top Go down

Post  The Zodiac Wed 26 Oct 2011, 8:05 pm

serendipity wrote:us and them??????, i am disappointed, never thought i would hear that on this forum, cheers for now..... scratch

Hey Andrew,
without dragging up the past, it's been a us and them since 2007. MV has always been excluded from the van scene, initially this worried me and other members but now I dont see it as a bad thing.
It's given us the freedom to do our own thing without constrants and politics associated with the old scene and build up our own scene that embraces helping each other more and promoting vanning to new people.
Politics has played a major part in vanning since day one and state vs state rivalary which I think has divided and destroyed it. MV is the ONLY NATIONAL club and we dont think state borders should be a barrier between friendships and helping each other build and enjoy our vans.
The choice was never ours to be a us and them, but looking back I'm glad they made the decision for us.
Let's keep the MV spirit alive and kicking, build some schmick ar5e vans, enjoy each others company and most importantly leave the politics and bullsh1t at the door.

Cheers Rob

2% Vanner
Rest in Peace Brother!
The Zodiac
The Zodiac
Fallen Vanning Legend, Cruising in Heaven. RIP.

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizard429 Wed 26 Oct 2011, 8:16 pm

Everyone has raised really good points and yes - there was always a rivarly between states.

I agree with Rob - there should be a national judging system. But he and you others are right - everyone wants to add their own bits and you will never get agreement. Even our government cant get things right. Look at education differences between states. It is about trying to come to some compromises

Back to judging - that is where this started and I will refer to larger shows. One flaw is the judges hand over the judging sheets to the dedicated people behind the scenes ( this happened all the time in my days ) who add up and then rank them in darkened corners where the cone of silence was lowered. The judges can have inconsistency as you can lose track of your benchmark as you progress through the field. The other fact - when you start - what is your initial benchmark - that is lets say the first one you see has an engine swap - lets say a chev 350 with a 671 blower. Judge goes wow - and gives 10 out of 10 as it used to have a 6 cylinder in it. He then goes around the field and suddenly finds a car - say Alley Cat with the V12 jag or Wizard with a 429 ( Like who is dumb enuff to put a ford motor into a holden ). How can the judge award more than 10 when 10 is the cap - given a heap more work to drop a jag or ford motor in. The judge cannot go back and mark down the prior entrant/s

So - one option is the judges are given score sheets prior to judging so they get their heads around the criteria. The judges then should spend the first hour to 2 hours actually walking around and making side notes - but not judging. Then they have an understanding of the field, they should have noted the standards and are better armed to fairly mark across the field based on the field. Their job often finishes when they finish the last judging sheet and it disappears into the flurry of activity and thrashing calculators. The FLAW - the judges should be there at the compiling of the scores and they should review the totals based on their notes. They should then ensure the ranking reflect their opinion.

if you score by benchmarking the field on the day - then you get a fairer result.

If you score based on what may be a perfect van/car - well what is it? is the ultimate to drop a V12 ferrari motor in? You have to have realistic benchmarks to stimulate interest and keep the show passion going.

The disadvantage a generic score sheet presents with is its inability to recognise cars/vans that are more standard but exceptionally clean, straight and immaculate

This then rears the head of classes of cars - you simply cant place all vans/cars into the one pot.

Yes to score sheet handback and verbal feedback to entrants if they want it.

In my years of showing - issues always occurred. I think solving the carbon tax issues, climate change etc will be easier. And guys - I showed but loved cruising - even though cleaning and maintaining it was a job and a half

cheers

Fuzz
Wizard429
Wizard429
Majestic Vanner
Majestic Vanner

Back to top Go down

Post  vanner065 Wed 26 Oct 2011, 8:33 pm

"us and them", interesting.

to tell you the truth, MV had some knockers at the start because of trouble from a couple of people, but that has all gone now and i think there is no hassels amoung people now. As time has gone by and forums like this and others have made it easier to get to know each other and also meet at some shows. It is all so much more friendly now but there are still disagreements on things because we can all give an opinion. Personally i do not like the "us and them". We are all van owners so there for i say we are all "us", "them" to me is the people who s primary interest is other styles of motoring. "Us and them" is not uniting the van scene and that is what we should all be about. MV has not always been excluded from the van scene, now is apart of the van scene and i think many people admire what MV has done for vanning in this country as well as the effort of all other clubs. Keep it positive amoung everyone and don't think MV is out there and not taken seriously and not recognized by others, as it is.

Vanner...some one who owns a van and has a huge interest in the sport
Van enthusiast...some one who may or maynot own a van and has a huge interest in the sport
thats my thoughts

James
vanner065
vanner065
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Wizard429 Wed 26 Oct 2011, 8:41 pm

Thanks James

Forgot to comment on the vanner and van enthusiast. from where I sit - you have hit the nail on the head.

also - agree on the us and them - amazing how communication and friendships break down the barriers. After all - it is all about a similar passion - vans!

Fuzz
Wizard429
Wizard429
Majestic Vanner
Majestic Vanner

Back to top Go down

Post  HQVAN Wed 26 Oct 2011, 9:00 pm

vanner065 wrote:"us and them", interesting.

to tell you the truth, MV had some knockers at the start because of trouble from a couple of people, but that has all gone now and i think there is no hassels amoung people now. As time has gone by and forums like this and others have made it easier to get to know each other and also meet at some shows. It is all so much more friendly now but there are still disagreements on things because we can all give an opinion. Personally i do not like the "us and them". We are all van owners so there for i say we are all "us", "them" to me is the people who s primary interest is other styles of motoring. "Us and them" is not uniting the van scene and that is what we should all be about. MV has not always been excluded from the van scene, now is apart of the van scene and i think many people admire what MV has done for vanning in this country as well as the effort of all other clubs. Keep it positive amoung everyone and don't think MV is out there and not taken seriously and not recognized by others, as it is.

Vanner...some one who owns a van and has a huge interest in the sport
Van enthusiast...some one who may or maynot own a van and has a huge interest in the sport
thats my thoughts

James

Thank you James for setting this straight.

Lets look to the future of vanning, MV is a force to be reckoned with, and is now reconised as such. Lets keep our spirit and use it to promote and unite vanners/van enthusiasts.

Let the past be, try to learn from the mistakes, and work together to revolutionise the vanning scene for the benefit of all. We will all be better off.

I think that MV has done alot to bring vanners together, just look at the growth of MV in the past 12 months alone! I am sure that with a united front - a vanning round table can nut out a judging system that works well, submissions from past greats attending the reunion would be a great start.
HQVAN
HQVAN
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2022!

Back to top Go down

Post  Squeaker2 Wed 26 Oct 2011, 9:22 pm

Vanner?
Van enthusiast?
I have owned a van for over 12 years(sucks when you say it like that) but would only be classified as an enthusiast, now I own and am building up a van so now a vanner!?
Nope none of the above
I am just me! Very Happy

Squeaker2
Resident
Resident

http://www.squeakerclean.com

Back to top Go down

Post  VanGoes Wed 26 Oct 2011, 11:49 pm

If the word "Vanner" has become a dirty word... RECLAIM it!!!

There are many "Van enthusiasts" who tinker... But I have dreams and if I don't start making an effort to bring them to reality... I'll be a spectator leaning on a walking frame LOL Smile

So I hope to be more than just an enthusiast and a real "Vanner" with a Van I have restored and customised to my liking. If Vanner means anything else... bugger it... change the meaning.

Also... just a thought... If Majestic Vanners is the only 'National' Van mob... then why not have everyone submit what aspects they would like to see in a judging format and then invite other clubs to submit the same... then have pros and cons of the points raised and over time refine it to something that gets across the board approval.

There are enough professionals from all fields of the motor industry (welders, painters, interiors etc) and experienced judges from many events... The biggest value that I see MV having is bringing all these people together to help one another with their builds and to discuss their passions... why not build a judging system that might outlast us all??? May take years to refine to something everyone can accept... but should be worth the effort?!
VanGoes
VanGoes
Majestic Vanner. Proud, Passionate and Paid Up!
Majestic Vanner. Proud, Passionate and Paid Up!

Back to top Go down

Judging vehicles - Page 2 Empty Re:Judging Vehicles.

Post  Time Lapse Thu 27 Oct 2011, 2:34 am

Hi Everyone, Having read most of the comments on the subject, it seems to me that without prejudice Vanning in general Would benefit from an overhaul in judging practises (as Soooo Much Has Changed ) and first and foremost, judges for the most part give their time freely to help promote Vanning, so for that we should be thankful.... however I do think that where possible when choosing the people, to carry out the difficult task of judging we should all try and ensure that when selecting judges, they are armed with Passion for vans/cars and Product knowledge, Understanding what it takes to hand build these vans, as well as the engineering and ingenuity and hours that result in what they see before them. And because there is such a difference between a stock or mild van as opposed to wild custom/highly modified van, there is a need for more categories to cover these differences, I.E. if there was two really outstanding vans, lets say two H.Q.Holden Vans in a show with 17 other vans, ranging from tidy dailly drivers to fully customised , if the body,paint,interior, engine bay,wheels,etc were all of a very high standard but van 1/ was completely stock and back to original in every detail as in concourse condition. and van 2/ was the same level of finish also concourse condition, but modified in every area,such as body,paint,interior,engine bay,wheels etc, then without the appropriate categories the modified van should and must win because so much more work has gone into van 2/ but in contradiction this would not be fair to the guy with the stock concourse just as beautiful van, but in a stock way he should therefore win best stock category, and so on. I think it is paramount to get this balance right especially as there is now more styles 70s,80s,classics, nostalgic restorations of epic Icons,to the letter resto's of genuine sandman,drifter,sundowner,gypsy, etc etc. I Hope I have covered it all without any prejudice, as none intended whatsoever. Having said that at the end of the day we are ALL in this FOR THE LOVE OF VANNING I reckon,and this is what I believe M.V.is all about. personally I am very happy that the younger guy's and lady's have picked up the ball and ran with it to keep the Vanning dream alive to what it is today I also believe Vanning is increasing in popularity too. well done to the original founders of M.V. and everyone whom followed since to make what is a great group of people with a wealth of knowledge and a passion for vans I feel honoured to have been invited into M.V. and I am a proud member of the group Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Cheers John.s Time Lapse.
Time Lapse
Time Lapse
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2024!

Back to top Go down

Post  vanner065 Thu 27 Oct 2011, 10:42 pm

Thats pretty much it John. Thats why some times there are modified and restored sections so these vehicles can be separated on their merits so as not to be penalised for eg, one not liking mods and the other not liking stock lines etc. yet these vehicles could still be outstanding in all areas.

Lets not just give MV "all" the raps, there are many van clubs out there doing the same thing, some or most i should say, are not forum based and are very vigilant on the streets, yes as are MV. Times have changed and the internet does wonders for all sports but nothing beats being seen on the streets.

Keep on vanning

James
vanner065
vanner065
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  The Zodiac Fri 28 Oct 2011, 12:39 am

vanner065 wrote:Lets not just give MV "all" the raps, there are many van clubs out there doing the same thing, some or most i should say, are not forum based and are very vigilant on the streets, yes as are MV. Times have changed and the internet does wonders for all sports but nothing beats being seen on the streets.

Keep on vanning

James

Dont take this the wrong way James but I think MV has done more promoting/publicising and getting vanning out there to the masses in the last 18 months than the others have in the last 5 years.
As for being on the streets, you'd be amazed how many MVers drive their vans every day, not once every two months on a short run and how many other daily drivers are MV stickered or how many people Freestyler has hounded! Laughing
It's all about embracing vanning and attracting new members, it's not a big enough community to start excluding or alienating people.
The more people we encourage and help, the bigger it gets, the quicker it grows, the more people talk, the easier it gets and the bigger the scene gets!!!

Cheers Rob