MAJESTIC VANNERS AUSTRALIA INC.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question for the painters

+2
serendipity
HQU304
6 posters

Go down

Question for the painters Empty Question for the painters

Post  HQU304 Fri 02 Aug 2013, 9:10 pm

so its getting closer to the stage where I need to get some color on the ute. Because we all spend so much time and effort on our projects its always best to get the right information. So my question is which way should I go about painting. I was told by a mate that it would be better to go acrylic with a 2k clear. The reason he said was that acrylic is a softer paint so less prone to crack from stone chips. Is this really a better way? The ute is already in 2k high build primer, and although acrylic won't stick that well to 2k that can be solved by roughing up the surface and then sealing it with the 2k clear.

Opinions..ideas...all welcome to throw in their 2 cents
HQU304
HQU304
Resident
Resident

Back to top Go down

Question for the painters Empty Re: Question for the painters

Post  serendipity Fri 02 Aug 2013, 10:54 pm

i am not a painter but 2k base coat with 2k clear is my option, that is what i used on serendipity

serendipity
serendipity
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2024!

Back to top Go down

Post  sandman 78 Sat 03 Aug 2013, 12:25 am

my van was acrylic l decided against painting it acrylic the reason been the paint is not as good as use to be the lead has been taken out and will not last as good like 10 20 yrs ago so l went 2k will last longer abit more shinny if you get orange peel look after painting 2k just use 2000 grit then buff and polish looks preety good l have no regretts good luck with the choice you make

sandman 78
Majestic Vanner
Majestic Vanner

Back to top Go down

Post  sandman 78 Sat 03 Aug 2013, 6:42 pm

lm sure there will be someone here  to help you

sandman 78
Majestic Vanner
Majestic Vanner

Back to top Go down

Post  Bowtie383 Mon 05 Aug 2013, 11:55 am

This should be in the tech section,You have started with a 2k primer now then follow it through with a 2k base and clear you also have not stated if it is a metallic or solid colour,your mate has one thing right about the acrylic but you never should paint 2K over acrylic I could get really indepth about this but in a nut shell you finish with what you started with and stay with the same brand all the way throough the whole paint process and you can alway get the manafacturers tech data sheet as well if you are not sure about what you are using.

Regards Tony.
chev 
"leave em"wanting more!
Bowtie383
Bowtie383
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2023!

Back to top Go down

Post  HQU304 Mon 05 Aug 2013, 8:58 pm

its a group 2 metallic. My plan was to continue with 2k but my mate suggested the acrylic way which fuzzled me a bit. Cheers for the help guys. 2k it is.
HQU304
HQU304
Resident
Resident

Back to top Go down

Post  Epic_Dragon Thu 08 Aug 2013, 12:18 am

yeah dont mix acrylic and 2pk clear. is asking for trouble! and 2pk does have a longer life/easier to polish etc so if can use that its your best option. Acrylic is less heat resistant in if you do not use correct polish/and dont take care whilst buffing, you can actually burn the pain as it is softer. Heating up the clear, having correct air pressures and correct atomization, and quality paint goes a long way to minimizing the orange peel effect as well Smile haha and painting in ideal temps Smile

tony has it all in a nutshell anyways Smile and you have decided to stick with 2pk whole way Very Happy good stuff!
LOL i miss my job so much!

Epic_Dragon
Epic_Dragon
Majestic Vanner. Proud, Passionate and Paid Up!
Majestic Vanner. Proud, Passionate and Paid Up!

http://add me on facebook, leonie dean or myspace www.myspace.co

Back to top Go down

Post  GTS Injected Sat 10 Aug 2013, 7:02 pm

Like Tony said stick to one type and brand, years ago i tried 2k clear over black acrylic on a chassis and it only lasted about 18months before the clear started to come off in sheets, you live and learn and asking questions always helps
GTS Injected
GTS Injected
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2015!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down