MAJESTIC VANNERS AUSTRALIA INC.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

introducing myself and looking for my first van

+4
Imperfection
Dean
The Zodiac
eamonn
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

introducing myself and looking for my first van Empty introducing myself and looking for my first van

Post  eamonn Mon 25 Oct 2010, 2:58 pm

hi all, ive been browsnig this site for a while now and i have to say its bloody great the way everone is so helpfull

this is my first post on the site so ill let you know a bit about me first,

My names Eamonn, im 21, live in WA and looking to get my first panel van, ive been searching for a while now and havent had much luck here around perth.

Ive recently seen a van that looks the goods but unfortunately its over in SA (in Hallet Cove), and as it will be my first old holden im looking for a few pointers on what to look out for and questions i should ask before going over to see it, or if you would recommend getting someone to go and check it out like a mobile mechanic.

the information ive got so far about the van is its a WB van with a HJ front end, its got a 253 with a trimatic. it seems to be a decent body on it but its only got a couple of photos (none of which are in grat detail). ive been told its got a couple of bits of rust but only on the doors.

if it turns out to be alright the plan would be to fly over and drive it back the 2800kms to perth.

any help at all will be much appreciated

cheers
Eamonn

eamonn
Majestic Vanner
Majestic Vanner

Back to top Go down

introducing myself and looking for my first van Empty Re: introducing myself and looking for my first van

Post  The Zodiac Mon 25 Oct 2010, 3:34 pm

Welcome aboard Eamonn, great to have you here. Everyone on here's pretty helpful and we have some very knowledgeable people on here.
We already have 2 members in Majestic Vanners from WA. Deans in Perth and Andrews in Kalgoorlie, it's always hard commiting to buying a van when it's so far away.
The obvious things to look for are rust in the common areas like in front of windscreen, gutters around top, ute/van line and in the floor. Rust in doors,guards and tail gates I dont think matters that much as you can always bolts other rust free panels on at a later date.
Since your looking at a WB thats had a different front fitted the question I'd be asking is...Did they swap fronts purely for looks or was it in a crash? If it was crashed was it a minor bingle or a more serious crash. Check the rails to see if they're bent, you can also check for cracks also.
Mechanicals never really worried me as I was a mechanic for 10 years so I can do that stuff myself but if you cant do it yourself you may need to pay someone to do it, so the van may end up costing you more than you bargained for.
Sometimes your better off paying a little bit more and getting a better van than buying a cheap as van that seems like a bargain until you get it home and find it's full of rust and bodgy repairs. It'll end up costing you more in the long run to repair a dunger and you'll be forever chasing your arse with rust.
If you could get a reliable mechanic to check it out for you before you flew over that'd be ideal, when I worked for NRMA they use to do used vehicle checks, dont know if they still do but they where pretty thorough inspections, might be worth looking into.
Cheers Rob welcome raceya

2% Vanner
Rest in Peace Brother!
The Zodiac
The Zodiac
Fallen Vanning Legend, Cruising in Heaven. RIP.

Back to top Go down

introducing myself and looking for my first van Empty Re: introducing myself and looking for my first van

Post  eamonn Mon 25 Oct 2010, 5:16 pm

Cheers Rob, that was just what I was looking for,
And thanks for the heads up on the typical areas to check up on for rust. I’ve made some enquiries to a couple of companies offering vehicle inspections so hopefully they aren’t too expensive. And if i do get one of them to check it out ill make sure they have a good look for any accident damage as you said. But if anyone recommends anyone near Adelaide ill try check them out too.

here is the ad for the van if it helps anyone point out any other bits to be careful of.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=9390744&keywords=panel%20van&SearchAction=N&__Ntk=CarAll&__Nne=15&__Dx=mode%20matchany&__D=panel%20van&silo=1011&seot=1&__sid=1294C019CC74&__N=834%201216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294965857&__Ns=pCar_YearMade_Int32|0||pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|0&__Qpb=true&__Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Cr=14&__Ntt=panel%20van&trecs=67

dont know if there is a special way to make it a link but if you copy and paste it in the address bar it should work

eamonn
Majestic Vanner
Majestic Vanner

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean Mon 25 Oct 2010, 5:26 pm

Gday eamonn, Im the other member in perth. Your right about the site, being informative and helpful. Everyone here seems to encourage rather than discourage. And theyre not a bad bunch either. I know what your saying by searching in perth. It took me a while to find a decent one. But as rob pointed out, I got mine home and realised alot had been bodged. Paid 7k, now owes me over 17k, and still not done. Doing the bodywork now, which will take some time. Searching over east is an option, but remember that whats legal over there, would be a fail over here. There is vans with promise here, you just have to weed them out and be patient. It could save you thousands.
Dean
Dean
Majestic Vanner
Majestic Vanner

Back to top Go down

Post  Imperfection Mon 25 Oct 2010, 5:43 pm

Hi welcome to the site,mate ask if he will send you some photo's of the van in the sun.As i'm always worried about pictures, the are taken at dusk. And from a distance Mad
Imperfection
Imperfection
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2017!

Back to top Go down

Post  pez350 Mon 25 Oct 2010, 6:21 pm

Welcome aboard Eamonn. Looks like we might have another WB owner soon? Rob summed it up pretty well - the ad looks great, and the body looks clean and straight, but if it's been in a major prang, then the test will show it.

If you are getting it tested before you buy, I think that's the best thing - no surprises then.

The SA equivalent of the NRMA also have a testing service: http://www.raa.com.au/page.aspx?SecID=74

On the positive side, GTS dash, Steering wheel and wheels are all very good things and cost a lot of $$$ if you add them later. Ask the owner if all the gauges work on the dash. Ask him also to send some pictures under the bonnet. He's got the good pictures on the ad, but perhaps there's something that's no so good under the bonnet.

Keep us informed.

Cheers
Perry
pez350
pez350
Majestic Vanner
Majestic Vanner

http://gallery.perryr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean Mon 25 Oct 2010, 6:53 pm

Just a couple of minor things i noticed on the add. If you were to buy it, you would have to run it over the pits here to rego it. Theres no display on the dash for the column shift, has it been passed with the bucket seats? And does the windscreen demister work? Looks like a possible good buy but!
Dean
Dean
Majestic Vanner
Majestic Vanner

Back to top Go down

Post  The Zodiac Mon 25 Oct 2010, 8:05 pm

It looks to be very straight, a few things I noticed with it are:
+White needle GTS dash, so it's not factory fitted but as long as it works should be all good
+I wouldn't pass it for rego due to the tail lights, needs side indicators if your going to run early model tail lights.
+It's got early model tin mirrors too, maybe the doors have been replaced?
+One yellow tail gate hinge? Whats going on there?
+As Dean pointed out no gear indicator, if you didn't want to change dash facias than column shift LH Toranas had a pointer and indicator on the column that fits with 3 or 4 screws.
+Single headlight HJ front, maybe it has been in a crash.
+Cant see the exhaust outlet, may need to change for WA rego?

Otherwise it looks pretty good, be keen to see under the bonnet.
Be worthwhile getting it checked out by someone before you travel all that way mate.

2% Vanner
Rest in Peace Brother!
The Zodiac
The Zodiac
Fallen Vanning Legend, Cruising in Heaven. RIP.

Back to top Go down

Post  eamonn Mon 25 Oct 2010, 8:16 pm

cheers dean, points that i would never have thought to check up on, but i know getting it registered in WA will be a bit of a hassle. Ive been trying to be patient, looked at a a fair few that perth has had to offer over the last year but there has always been something that kills the sale, or if its any good itll be gone in a day or two. as you said its a pretty tough market here

cheers for the input smallvan, the pics do seem a little bit suspect, he is going to get some more pics over to me when he gets the chance. some of rust repairs and engine bar shots too.

and thanks for the link perry, ive heard back form a company called Motacheck, i got a quote around the 270 mark (a bit more then i thought it was gonna be, but i suppose its better then finding any big surprises later on) to have a full inspection. all their info and what they include is on the website below, it seems thorough but see what you guys think about them.
http://www.motacheck.net/
and they said it would take 2 to 3 hours and will include around 50 photos and a written report, so i might check out how RAA compare to that before i make my mind up

Thanks again Rob for the extra pointers, all great things to know and follow up on, might even give me some bargaining power. and pretty certain ill gett an inspection done, after all it will be cheaper then a return flight.

thank you all again for your help so far, ill let you know any more info i get on it.
Eamonn

eamonn
Majestic Vanner
Majestic Vanner

Back to top Go down

Post  greycloud Mon 25 Oct 2010, 9:36 pm

G'day Eamonn and welcome to the forum, I bought my van from Adelaide sight unseen and have found quite a few nasty bits. It is in being painted at the moment, body was excellent, bolt off panels were pretty well stuffed. Would be really good idea to get it checked over, hope all goes well mate.
greycloud
greycloud
MAJESTIC VANNER, Proud, Passionate, Paid Up 2021!

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean Tue 26 Oct 2010, 1:34 pm

http://perth.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicles-Motorbikes-Parts-van-ute-HX-PANELVAN-FOR-SALE-W0QQAdIdZ237771896
http://perth.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicles-Motorbikes-Parts-van-ute-Holden-HK-T-G-Windowless-Panel-Van-1968-W0QQAdIdZ218693831
Dean
Dean
Majestic Vanner
Majestic Vanner

Back to top Go down

Post  The Zodiac Tue 26 Oct 2010, 1:44 pm

That HX-HZ sounds alright, 308, Turbo 400 and 9 inch for 3K! Cool No photos though. Crying or Very sad